Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tirzah’s Travel Thoughts: Christmastime 2009

West? Texas?
Texas can be so complicated. No wonder newcomers get confused. Take “West Texas,” for instance. In addition to the geographical region of West Texas, there is also West, Texas, a town north of Waco that is known for its delicious kolaches. Then there is George West, Texas, a town in South Texas that is a scuzzy, icky travel stop, in my opinion. (Now I have a tiny little ding on my car as a reminder to never stop for gas there ever again.) Then if you stop to wonder if George West is the same guy that they named West, Texas, after... well, it just boggles the mind.

Doe, a deer, a female deer
Yesterday, while I was driving along I-35, I saw a freshly killed deer up close for the first time. She was strapped to the back of an SUV with her tongue a-hangin’ out, all professional-like. I wondered to myself why the motorist wouldn’t just give the doe some dignity and store her inside the SUV. Then when I passed the vehicle, I saw a Mercedes logo on its front grill. Ah. I probably wouldn’t want to store a dead animal in my Mercedes, either. Then I got to thinking how whoever was driving the Mercedes must have plenty of money to spend on their SUV, their hunting hobby, and their fresh supply of venison. Then I was like, “Is that Ted Nugent???”

Not-so environmentally friendly
There is a recently constructed Flying J along I-35 that’s not quite as spacious as other Flying Js I’ve stopped at. It ain’t all that environmentally friendly, either. The ladies’ room is equipped with automatic flushing, which I assume is to save water. Unfortunately, this is not the case at this particular truck stop. Instead of flushing only once, it will flush about 3 or 4 times per visit. To get it to flush, I guess all you have to do is move too much, sneeze too much, breathe too much, or be human or something.

Magic snow!
I’ve noticed that I cry almost every time 1) I think about how faithful God is, 2) I watch a Rocky movie, and 3) I witness a Texas snowfall. One of my favorite kinds is magic snow. It’s the kind that falls when it’s about 38 degrees outside, and it doesn’t stick or make the roads icy. Magic snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment