Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tirzah’s Travel Thoughts: Oklahoma-Missouri Randomness 2011

It’s been said that variety is the spice of life. I would say, however, that randomness is the background against which I live my life. Last year, I drove through Oklahoma and Missouri to visit my very good friend Liz in Columbia. This year, I embarked on that adventure once again. I thought I would snap and post photos of the beautiful scenery I saw last year, now that I have a real digital camera. Instead, however, I thought I’d share road-trip experiences that were so random that I couldn’t just keep them all to myself.

Can anyone help me figure out why anyone would display this particular monument for all to see on a small-town highway in Oklahoma?



Behold! The rusted mailtruck! *triumphant fanfare plays*

I liked small-town Oklahoma. The people there were nice and friendly indeed. Whoever owns Braum’s was very smart in building an eatery/grocery store at nearly every town on Highway 69. During one such visit, an elderly lady who was wearing what appeared to be an antique football helmet entered the lady’s room and greeted me with “Howdy.” Perhaps she chose that particular headgear for medical reasons, but that has to be one of the most random restroom greetings I’ve ever had.

Then there was the overly excited cashier at a Love’s truck stop just past the Missouri border. “Hello, and welcome to Love’s!” he shouted in a mostly-sincere-but-with-maybe-a-dash-of-sarcasm eloquence as I scurried inside. Later, right before I purchased a Pepsi Throwback and peanuts, I heard him discussing with his coworker how much money he spends every month on cigarettes. Perhaps he owes his near-thespian performance of a greeting to nicotine.

What made me laugh out loud were billboards along Highway 44 that were advertising a Cheese Outlet. My mind was flooded, of course, will all kinds of cheese jokes. What do you do at a Cheese Outlet? Is there a line of children who are waiting to cut the cheese? No offense if you’ve ever visited a Cheese Outlet. Hopefully the cheese was delicious. Hopefully your experience wasn’t cheesy at all. *muffled snickering*

I hope you enjoyed these random tidbits from my travels. If you’ll excuse me, it’s time for me to get back to the randomness I encounter in my everyday life. (Maybe someday technology will advance to where you can hear my cat purring if you put your ear to your computer monitor. Hark! Feline happiness!)

2 comments:

  1. I would love to peruse a cheese outlet. I love all kinds of cheese but they're so expensive :(

    ReplyDelete