Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Another reason why I'm hated

Did the subject of this post get your attention? Good. :) Now I'll share some Bible verses. (Incoming!)

"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." (Psalm 127:4-5)

"Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress." (Psalm 144:1-2a)

Somewhat continuing on what I blogged about last week, I'm God's friend, and I'm God's child (because I accepted Jesus as my Savior, as John 1:12 explains). God is a loving, forgiving, and gentle God who wants to be close to us, and He wants us to know Him intimately. Yet He's also an almighty, triumphant King. He and His family are at war with an enemy who hates us. Technically, we've already won, but we still need to be ready for battle. I'm talking about spiritual battles and a spiritual war.

There's a quote from the movie Scarface: "Say hello to my little friend." I usually hear that quote repeated so casually. However, I watched that movie for the first time last year. (It was on TV, so it was a cleaned-up version that muted out like every other word.) The actual context of that quote is Al Pacino screaming, "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!" right before he shoots an assault rifle. His "little friend" is his weapon.

If I understand Psalm 127 correctly, if I'm God's child, then I'm like an arrow in His quiver. In this sense, I'm His weapon. I don't think I'm necessarily like a grenade that you can only use once to do some major damage. (Although if God wanted to do something like that, that would be pretty darn cool.) If I'm like an arrow in a quiver, I'm probably cared for a great deal. I'm probably constructed, shaped, and sharpened. And then, when the time is right, I'm selected, carefully aimed at the target, and suddenly released to plunge into the area where I can do the most damage. SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!

Revelation 12 says that there's an accuser (the enemy, i.e., the devil) who is overcome by the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and the word of "their" testimony. From what I understand, the "their" is talking about me -- the "brethren" who are members of God's family. To me, this all comes together in a sweet way in the following verses.

"I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but You give us victory over our enemies, You put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise Your name forever." (Psalm 44:6-8)

What? you say you suffer from codependence, and you feel doomed to live in a codependent prison forever? (Picture God reaching into His quiver and pulling me out.) SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND! (The bow makes a "sproing" noise right before I hit the target.) "My name is Tirzah, and let me boast about what God has done for me. He set me completely free from codependence, and now He's at the center of my universe. And He can do the same for you."

What? you say you suffer from depression? you've been suicidal? and you were told that you are doomed to medication and therapy forever? (Picture smoke rising from His nostrils as God hurriedly reaches into His quiver and aims me passionately at the target.) SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!! (I make a loud whizzing sound as I scream towards the target.) "My name is Tirzah! Let me boast about what God has done for me! He set me completely free from depression, He rescued me from a pit, He set my feet on a rock, and now I sing a new Psalm-40 style song to Him! And He can do the same for you!"

The enemy already hates me because he hates God, and I belong to God. So, I'm at war, anyway. I'm also like a secret weapon. Or maybe I'm a not-so-secret weapon. Either way, just as long as God wants me in His family, I'm good to go. :) (Incoming!)

No comments:

Post a Comment