Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sure, I'll let total strangers observe my humiliation. Why not?

I almost titled this blog post "Diagnostics and maintenance," but I didn't want anyone to think that I was going to write about cars. (Actually, I do have an idea to write about my car, but it might not make it here on my blog for quite a while.) So, I thought I'd continue with my question-mark-in-the-title trend and my really-disgusting-subject-matter trend for now. For this particular gross topic, for your sake and for my dignity's sake, I'm very glad that I don't have photos available for this post. I would like to blog about a story that I've told people in person. I was reminded of this incident today while I was performing routine maintenance on my cats. That is, once a month, I have to ambush -- I mean, uh... subtly approach my cats... and trim their nails, clean their ears, and apply heartworm-prevention medicine on their fur. So, on with my story, and please be forewarned that it's a graphic but hopefully humorous one.

About 10 years ago, I started a new job that was extremely stressful. I developed IBS-like symptoms and needed to call in sick and visit a medical clinic at least once. To add to the scariness, I didn't have health insurance at the time. One of the doctors explained to me that after the health insurance would kick in at my new job, they could "scope" me and investigate my condition further. After a short while, I was promoted to a less stressful position at work, and my symptoms improved. I wasn't sick anymore. I went back to the clinic for follow-up and testing, but later I was informed that a test yielded disturbing results. So, they scheduled me for my "scope" procedure -- a flexible sigmoidoscopy. This is a procedure where they basically stick a camera up your butt so that they can look at your intestines. This is similar to a colonoscopy, but the camera doesn't go up as far, and you're awake during the procedure.

So, after I prepared for the procedure by not eating solid foods for 24 hours, I arrived at the clinic for my flexible sigmoidoscopy, and I was told that they would also perform a procedure on me called a barium enema, whatever that was. So, I changed into a hospital-type gown and went into a room with a male doctor and a male nurse. The cheerful doctor asked me if I would allow some medical students (I think they were both female) to observe the procedure. I consented, and my reasoning was basically Sure, why not? I'm about to be humiliated, anyway.

I was told that the procedure would involve the nurse using a device to mechanically blast air up into my intestines, I think because my empty intestines needed to be blown up so that the scoping camera could take good photographs and that the medical staff could take a good look at exactly what was inside my intestines. I was warned that I would feel pressure and discomfort during the procedure. However, I was not warned that I had just been told a series of major understatements.

So, air-compressor noises were roaring behind me while air was painfully blasted up my butt while medical students were watching the whole thing and taking notes while the doctor made a joke, I guess to try to lighten the mood. I was in a buttload of cramping pain, and I was probably cringing and/or groaning, and the nurse was telling me to hold still or stop squirming or something. I don't remember exactly. I just know that it hurt.

When it was over, I was told that I would have some privacy while I could get dressed and that I might pass some gas. Another major understatement. I had intestines that were full of artificial air, so I artificially farted. A heck of a lot. Imagine the longest fart you've ever farted, multiply that by about 5, and voila, you've got an idea of what my supersonic, non-stinky farts were like.

The doctor gave me a good report: the only thing he detected during the procedure was a condition that I won't repeat on this blog post, but let's just say that some ways to treat this condition are eating a high-fiber diet, taking a fiber supplement, and using Preparation H.

I thought that I could go home right after this procedure, but I was reminded that I needed to drive to a nearby hospital for my next procedure: a barium enema. I was warned that this procedure would be somewhat similar to the last procedure. Instead of using an air compressor and a camera, the barium enema would fill my empty intestines with a substance that would allow my intestines to glow in the dark, so to speak, while medical staff would take X-rays. This procedure was uncomfortable, but it wasn't as humorous of a circus as the flexible sigmoidoscopy, and nobody was in the room with me while it was happening. It was a little bit scary lying there alone on the examination table while I was vulnerable and had a radioactive substance pumped into my butt while a machine took pictures of my posing-for-the-camera intestines, and I was being observed by people that I couldn't see. I actually ended up writing part of a worship song while I was lying there. The first lines went, "You will never leave me / Never forsake me."

Before I finally got to go home, the nurse warned me that since I had just been pumped with stuff, I would have white poop. I was like, Whatever. I didn't really believe her, until I got home and... OH, MY GOSH, IT'S WHITE!

I don't remember hearing back from the barium-enema doctor, so I think that means that my test results were normal. Ever since that day, I've tried to include more fiber in my diet. And I'm glad that I had those tests, because not knowing what's wrong is perhaps more scary than finding out the truth.

"You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you." (Psalm 32:7-9)

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12)

When I say things like "God, I want to be free, and I don't care what it looks like" or "Lord, please do whatever You want with me" or "This really hurts; please heal my wound" or "I don't want crap; I want You," He takes me up on it. I don't think He usually uses anesthesia. He pretty much just tells me that He's about to slice me open and perform a spiritual/emotional procedure, and He goes for it. If I kick and scream, He reminds me that I need to hold still and stop squirming. He's serious about operating on my heart. He's serious about restoring my soul. He's serious about my emotional healing and well-being. He doesn't want my heart to be sick, and I don't want it to be sick, either. I want Him to keep digging deep inside me and removing anything that isn't supposed to be there, including any infections or scar tissue or parasites that may have been leftover from past procedures that were ended prematurely or from procedures that He wasn't performing or from whatever out-of-whack thing that has been lurking inside me and just needs to be removed. If my symptoms improve, I want Him to keep operating and preventing any kind of disease.

So, while I was performing maintenance today on my cats, I was reminded of a blog post that I wrote awhile back. If my cats don't let me trim their nails on a regular basis, their claws could grow dangerously long and scratch me or curve around and fuse onto their paws. If my cats don't let me clean their ears on a regular basis, their ears could become so dirty that an infection could develop. If my cats don't let me give them their heartworm-prevention medicine on a regular basis, they could become very sick. These are all procedures that my cats often resist, sometimes ferociously. It's something that needs to be done, and it would be over a lot faster if they would just cooperate and let me be their catmama. After years of performing this maintenance (with lots of trial, error, and getting a talking-to from a vet), I've developed a technique that seems to work (at least for now). I'll wait until it's their morning snacktime, during a weekend when I've got plenty of time, and they're ready to launch into their scheduled napping slumber, and their bellies are almost empty, and I'll begin the maintenance routine. They'll offer little resistance because they're sleepy and hungry, and since they depend on me to feed them, they're pretty much at my mercy. I'll usually affirm them during the procedures, too: "Good boy. You're my girl. I love you. You're my kitty."

I'm pretty sure it's the same way with me and God. "Are you ready?" "Sure, I-- AAAGH! THIS HURTS!" "It's OK. Almost done. Hold still." "Oy vey!" The God of all comfort knows what He's doing. I need to just let Him do it. And I don't think He'll leave me alone in a strange room during a procedure that He's conducting and then neglect to contact me afterwards. He's a good Daddymama who counsels me and helps me through the whole thing. And that's no major understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment