Saturday, March 7, 2015

The atmosphere makes all the difference

In this post, I'm going to do what I usually do: take a couple of mundane things and turn them into analogies that describe my inner healing process. This time, I decided to make my main point the title of this post. I might get a tiny bit personal, too.

Later today, I plan to take Choochie to the vet for her annual shots and checkup. When I called to make the appointment, I was advised to bring in a sample of her poop for the exam. No problem. After we arrive at the vet's office, I plan to hold up Choochie's poop in a couple of Ziploc bags and say something to the effect of, "I collected this last night, and then I stored it in my fridge. There's plenty more where that came from, so please let me know if you need anything else." Sorry, I know that's gross. Just being real with you. So, last night when I dug my pet carrier out of my closet, Choochie was immediately drawn to it. (Macho hid behind my bed.)

If you've known me for a long time, or if you've read my blog for a while, perhaps you're familiar with a story that's reached legendary status in my mind: About 14 years ago, when Choochie got fixed, she had to spend at least a week cooped up in my pet carrier while she healed. Since she had to depend on me for everything during that process, she and I bonded considerably. I particularly remember placing my pet carrier (with her in it) on a table and pulling the table next to my bed at night so that Choochie could sleep next to me, and I remember hearing her purring in the darkness.

Now when I go to bed at night, she still finds me in the darkness and brushes her claw on my lip. I'm honestly not sure what she's after, but I think she wants to just snuggle somewhere near me. I lift up my covers so that she can snuggle with me, but she doesn't really do anything. She just takes a couple of steps inside and then stands there. If I cover her with my covers, she wriggles out of there. Then she repeats the process a couple more times. (While I'm trying to fall asleep.) Why does she do that? Does she just want to sniff me and remind herself of what I smell like? Does she just want to be around me?

Eventually, she usually just steps onto my arm, snuggles onto my shoulder, and purr-perches for a few minutes.

On days that I sleep in, Macho usually does the same thing in the morning, except he sometimes accepts my invitation to snuggle with me under the covers. He's very good at making himself at home and reclining on my arm in GQ-cat fashion with a very deep, rumbling purr.

My cats are very quirky (they're cats), but they're my family. They're welcome to make themselves at home in my life (within reason, hopefully within the proper boundaries, as in definitely NOT inside my kitchen cabinets) however they like. I hope they're familiar enough with me to be as comfortable and feel as safe as they need to be. I hope they like the atmosphere that I set for them here in my home. I hope it's healthy for them.

"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by." (Psalm 57:1)

 
Last spring/summer, I first noticed a bird's nest outside my window. It's hard to see it in this photo, so I hope you don't mind me circling it there in red for you. The bird's nest was hard to see in real life, too. But I could see it. I knew exactly where it was, and I kept a close eye on it. It's finally gone now.

I never saw any birds use it. I did see a robin hanging around my neighborhood for a very short while (I thought I heard squirrel noises, but apparently it was a bird), and then he/she suddenly vanished. Then I noticed this empty, unused nest. I'm assuming it belonged to the robin.

That was a tough little nest. It withstood scorching summer heat, sheets of pouring rain, and even the sleet that we got a week or two ago. I noticed that after we got that ice storm, the nest was tipped over, weighed down with a little pile of sleet inside it. But it was still there.

I guess it finally succumbed to most recent round of harsh winter weather, because now it's finally gone.

Ice and snow are fascinatingly dangerous. (Perhaps I feel this way because I'm a native Texan.) Ice is just slippery and treacherous. Snow especially looks harmless. Children play in it and construct lifesize toys (snowmen) out of it... and then they ball it up in their little hands and make missiles (snowballs) out of it. It's beautiful when it falls to the ground. But when it sticks, I sure hate to drive in it. If all I see is a sea of white... um... where did the lanes in the road go? Where does the road end and the curb begin? What if the vehicle next to me freaks out and skids into me? So much potential for chaos. I only have one car, and I'd like to keep it in one piece, thank you very much.

But ice and snow can only last so long. In order to remain intact, they require that the atmosphere's temperature be set at 32F or below. When it gets above that temperature, it begins to melt, especially if the sun shines directly on it.

But even when the temperature is above freezing, there are still little hidden places where ice and snow can remain intact. I found that out when I was speeding to work on Thursday afternoon, after the snow began to melt in the sun, and I drove across some unmelted ice that was hidden under a bridge on the highway. I wobbled a tiny bit, but I was thankful to drive on through it. After I arrived at work, I had to practically ice-skate out of my car onto a drier part of the parking lot on the way to the building. On the way home, I decided to stop for gas, where the pumps' roof kept chunks and sheets of ice safe and slick right around my car.

Yes, if you keep the temperature above 32F, the ice and snow will eventually melt. If you make the temperature even hotter (say, around 100F), it will melt even faster.

But if you guard ice and snow in an environment where the temperature will never go above 32F, it might never melt.

"If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer." (Psalm 66:18-19, NIV)

One time when I heard Mike Bickle teach/preach, he said that a quiet time is "like putting an ice cube in front of a bonfire." In other words, during a "quiet time," when I come into God's presence (because He's a consuming fire), my heart (the ice cube) will melt pretty darn quickly. Interesting observation indeed.

If I am kind, gracious, and loving on a regular basis, sure, I'm walking in the fruits of the Spirit. But I'm also hanging out with Somebody who is kind, gracious, and loving and who is melting my heart with His kindness, grace, and love and who is influencing my thoughts, my actions, my very heartbeat with the kind, gracious, and loving atmosphere that He creates in His presence, just by being Himself. His being Himself is a very powerful catalyst for me being myself -- my true, redeemed self who He intended me to be all along.

I think God being Himself and setting the atmosphere of my life in a way that has been conducive to my healing has made all the difference. If I remain in His atmosphere, I will continue to heal and grow. However, if I turn down the thermostat back to below 32F, the ice and snow that lurks in the dark corners of my life may never really melt.

Lately, my healing process has mainly been focused on my hodgepodge of lust issues. Sometimes I'll catch myself thinking or believing something and going like Whoa! Why the heck is this here? And why is it the default setting of my insides? Have I cherished this to the point of believing that this is OK to keep here inside me?

My previous healing process was mainly focused on my depression/suicide issues. Those are completely gone now. I'm really glad I worked through those (besides the fact that it's nice to be alive, versus being bogged down with crap), and I'm glad that God has helped me recognize how I heal from really deep issues like those. For me, it's a gradual melting away. It's an ongoing hunt for slick, dangerous places where I could still trip and fall. It's a waiting process where I constantly look out the window and examine the atmosphere: Is it spring yet? I hear birds chirping, but is it warm enough for me to not wonder if I'm about to step on a sheet of ice?

Being afraid isn't OK, but being cautious is definitely OK. If God prepares a nest for me to hang out in and build a new life in, I know He's going to be faithful to watch over it and guard it from the elements. But if I insist on keeping the atmosphere's temperature below 32F, I can say bye-bye to my new nest. It isn't really designed to withstand a constant barrage of ice storms.

God is the most amazing Father in the universe. I know it isn't really fair to compare Him to my earthly ex-parents, but the atmosphere He sets for me is so much better than the one they set for me. For instance...

When I'm getting over allergies or a cold, and I'm still coughing...
Them: Why are you coughing? / [turns up the volume on the TV so that he can hear the newscast]
God: I don't mind hearing you cough. That means you're still alive.

When I'm minding my own business...
Them: Why don't your eyelids close all the way when you blink? / You're making me look bad.
God: Chip off the old Block.

When I do something wrong...
Them: ¡Fea! [that's Spanish for Ugly!]
God: [smiling] It's OK. I've got you.

See what I mean? Whose atmosphere would you rather exist in? Whose atmosphere would inspire you to be your best in? Whose atmosphere would give you hope?

This past New Year's Eve, I sat in my church's parking lot and waited for the service to start. As usual, I was being extremely introspective. I thought about previous New Year's Eves. I thought about my loneliness, and I realized that it wasn't choking me that evening. I thought about my past depression, and I realized that I didn't have it anymore. I thought about the year to come, and eventually God showed me that it was like a blank canvas. That feeling that I had felt foreign to me... but in a good way. If I remember my words correctly, I told God, "For the first time in a long time, I feel like I have hope."

Heck yes. Bring it on.

I wonder if sometimes, God does something like this: He walks right up to the devil, holds up my soul-poop in a couple of Ziploc bags, and says, "See what I just collected out of her? You can keep squeezing all the crap you want out of her, but I'm just going to keep making something beautiful out of it. There's plenty more where this came from, so be My guest." And maybe He'll add, in a deep, rumbling growl, "You know she hates your guts, don't you? And you know that I'm just going to have My revenge on you later, don't you?"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knows.

And even though my Father is a Consuming Fire, I want to feel comfortable enough with Him to walk right up to Him and snuggle with Him. I want to hug Him. I don't care if my arms burn off in the process. And I don't care if I die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment