Sunday, May 17, 2015

Candy dish 2

I won't say that this post is rated R for "Really? Tirzah thinks this way?" but I will warn you that I'm just gonna let it all hang out.

--------------------

Once in a while, somebody will post a cat photo or a cat video to my Facebook page and say something like, "This reminded me of you!" I have a confession to make. I'm kind of waiting for the day when somebody will post a photo of a supermodel to my Facebook page and say, "She reminded me of you!" I know, right? I just hope no one reads this, takes it to heart, and posts anything stumbling-blockish to my Facebook page.

--------------------

One of my old roommates told me that cats don't like affection. Perhaps she should tell that to my Choochie who keeps inviting herself to snuggle with me.

--------------------

Whenever you submit an unspoken prayer request, I hate to break it to you, but you kind of already spoke it.

--------------------

When I was a freshman in college (in 1994), my roommate burst through our dorm room one day and announced in horror that her professor told her class that in the near future, books would no longer be printed on paper. They would all be electronic. Thus began my journey of discovering how difficult it is for people to predict the widespread acceptance of new technology. (Did anyone predict the cellphone selfie?)

Last weekend at my church (in 2015), my pastor released a new book (both in print and electronically). He requested that we purchase the book that weekend at a discounted price. He didn't have to tell me twice. I stood in line at the church bookstore for about 15-20 minutes, which honestly was my pleasure to do, because I had never seen a line that long at a church bookstore. The line of people curved around the store displays like a giant treble clef. It was so cool.

Yes, it was Mother's Day weekend, and our church gave away nifty coupons to use at the bookstore. But my pastor's new hardcover book was flying off the shelves. I had never seen bookshelves empty so quickly at my church. I think my old roommate's professor should stop trying to predict what people will want.

--------------------

I like movies, but I don't do Netflix, because when I lived in my old apartment, the mail carrier used to accidentally deliver other people's DVDs to my mailbox. Then I would have to hunt down my neighbors to deliver their DVDs to them. Technological convenience fail! I'd rather drive to the movie rental store and just rent a movie the old-fashioned way. There ain't nothing wrong with that. If I were to join Netflix, and if my movie were delivered to the wrong mailbox, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate having to walk over to my catapartment to deliver a Dune DVD. That would be way too much partying for a Saturday night.

--------------------

Online news stories keep saying that McDonald's is in trouble because people have stopped eating there. But all the McDonald's restaurants in my area are usually jam-packed during the weekday lunch rush. And a new McDonald's is being constructed in my general vicinity. I think online news stories are full of crap.

--------------------

One of my favorite parts about this particular season of my life is that God and I will pal around together while I'm driving home from work. Of course, anytime I'm around a close Friend, I totally unplug like a teenager on a Friday night.

One of my biggest frustrations at my current job is that the management claims to have standards about good grammar, spelling, style, etc., but rarely ever enforces it. There is very poor quality control. I feel like nobody at work really cares about the English language or treats it with respect. For example, the CEO's administrative assistant -- who does not know how to spell -- is often assigned to proofread our writing and editing projects. Of course our periodicals look like we typed the articles with our feet.

So, during my drive home one day, while I was ranting, I erupted, "Why don't you just pee on a dictionary?" Then for the next 20 minutes or so, I laughed off and on quite hysterically and quite cathartically about this imaginary peeing-on-a-dictionary concept. So, Tirzah, what do you for fun? Oh, I just blog, play my guitar, and pee on dictionaries. So, if I ever publish a memoir titled I Peed on a Dictionary: Confessions of a Frustrated Editor, you'll know why.

I think that was one of the most fun times I've ever had during a drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment