Sunday, January 15, 2017

Lessons from moo-veeng

So, I moved to a different apartment in a different suburb last month. So far, it's been a very good change for me and Choochie. (At least, she seems to be OK with it now.)

I think I've done way more than my share of moving during the course of my life. My parents weren't in the military; they were just chronically unhappy people who were always threatening to move the family away from certain situations, so I grew up either around boxes or preparing my own boxes. One time, Mom and I pulled an all-nighter cleaning the place that we had moved out of and loading our last-minute stuff into our vehicle. (The guy who had helped us move our heavy stuff cheerfully declared, "Oh, all you have left is just a few odds and ends" and left us.) Another time, we couldn't fit all of our stuff into our vehicles, so my grandfather unpacked a couple of boxes and tied some of their contents down in his car wherever they could fit. The scene looked atrocious, but it worked. (We said that we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. Heh.)

I've probably spent months, if not years, of my life either roaming or preparing to roam. As a result, I've been kind of starving for a place to finally settle down. (God has been telling me that I'm a "home base" person, but maybe that's another blog for another day.) So, since about 10 years ago, after I finally moved out on my own for keeps, I've been pretty stubborn about staying put.

But last year, I really did have to make a move, and I'm glad I did. And I'm even more glad that I listened to God about how to go about it. Here's a list of what I learned in the process.

1) "Gradual grace." In the early part of last year when I decided that I would need to move when my lease was up, God spoke to me very clearly that I needed to take advantage of the time to pack. So, I started packing in April. Oh, my gosh -- I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that I started so early. I had no idea how much time it would take to pack all of my earthly belongings -- and with all the moving experience I've had in my life, you'd think I would have learned by now!

But God knew.

One phrase He kept speaking to me was "gradual grace." For this particular move, I found out that God gave me grace to get things done gradually. Packing took forever. Cleaning my old apartment took forever. Unpacking my stuff has taken forever. (I'm still not done yet.) But it's been gradual, and it's been OK. I'm not stressed out. Choochie hasn't had to sign up for pet therapy.

I'm glad God talked to me about doing things for this move gradually; otherwise, I would have been very frustrated with every step of this long process. Or if I had waited till the last second to do anything, I probably would have pulled an all-nighter again, would have been utterly exhausted, and would have totally hated my life.

2) Organization is my friend. About 16 years ago, after I got out of the psych hospital and was going through therapy and tried to get my life back together again, I watched a Joyce Meyer TV program. She said, "Our problem is that we need to get organized." I took that to heart, and I almost immediately started filing some stuff away in the room that I'd been renting. My living space started to look a lot better.

I'm not exactly sure what happened between then and now, but the order didn't last very long. Maybe I let chaotic people take over my life and eat up my time, or maybe I got too busy, or maybe I just didn't deal with life very well. Typically as an artist, I don't always embrace order.

But in recent years, I've finally learned to run from chaos as much as I can. I don't want that stuff in my house anymore.

At any rate, I think organized chaos is a beautiful thing. See how I kept my life in order while I was living in a cardboard jungle? I like knowing where everything is. (Or at least having a general idea of where stuff is.) It kind of saves me a headache later.

I think finally learning how to administrate my life is really good preparation for learning how to administrate things in God's house. I like this. I could get used to this.

3) If Scotch tape and bubble gum get the job done, I shouldn't make fun. About a dozen years ago, after working at strange jobs that really didn't utilize my college degree, I invented the phrase "Scotch tape and bubble gum." A couple of the jobs where I worked were basically sweat-shop call centers where the breakrooms were either nonexistent or terrible, or office supplies weren't even provided, and the pay was peanuts. So, I called these places "Scotch tape and bubble gum companies," because it was as if they had held everything together with Scotch tape and bubble gum.

But what if "Scotch tape and bubble gum" is all you need?

 
During my recent move, I realized that I had run out of garment bags. There wasn't time to buy new ones, and I had forgotten to empty out some of the ones that I had while I had transported some of my clothes to my new place ahead of the movers. So I improvised like a good little redneck. I packed my hanging clothes in garbage bags, cutting out holes where it seemed necessary and using Scotch packing tape for the rest. The professional movers didn't make fun of me, and I think MacGyver would have been proud.

4) Macho wouldn't have made it. Whenever I've moved with my cats (for the past 16 years or so), I've tried to psych them up for it. While I've packed my boxes, I've tried to tell them, "We're moving!" but, of course, they speak feline, so I'm not quite sure if they understand English all the time. They've probably been like, "I don't know what this 'moo-veeng' phenomenon is that Mama keeps talking about, but I don't think I like it."

Cats are extremely territorial, so moving is a really big deal for them. I'm not sure Macho would have endured the emotional turmoil of being permanently uprooted from one territory and adjusting to another territory. Not in his fragile state.

Of course, I had originally intended to bring both of my cats with me during the move. I even bought a second pet carrier so that each of my babies would have their own carrier... without Macho being incontinent all over Choochie. (As a pair, both of my cats had always been small enough to fit inside one large carrier.) But Macho was gone almost five months before the move.

Of course, I would rather have him here with me now, but in a way it's an awesome blessing to only have one cat right now. And the team of movers that I hired may have accidentally freaked him out. (He never really liked human men.) My new apartment is kind of expensive when it comes to pets, and there are so many fancy accessories in here (like glass-covered closet doors and a dry bar) that Macho may have been tempted to play around in and break.

Incidentally, I ended up putting him down at a clinic that's in the same suburb that I ended up moving to. So, he didn't get to live with me here, but he did get to die with me here. It's kind of sentimental and morbid simultaneously.

5) Cats will be cats. Self-explanatory.



6) Location, location, location. My new commute to work (and church, because it's only about a five-minute drive from work) is about 12 minutes -- or about 15 minutes with traffic. In the part of Texas where I live, this is a glorious thing. In the past 10 years or so that I've lived here -- enduring hourlong commutes and soul-crushing traffic -- I feel like I've paid my dues. It's time to give my car a break. All this trouble that I've gone through just for one little move has been totally worth it.

7) If you ask God to take care of every single detail, He will. So many things could have gone wrong (and did), but Choochie and I have come through it unharmed. We're good to go. And that's because God has been taking care of us.

He's a good Daddy. Please don't let anybody convince you otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment