Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bible verses that make you go, “Aw, snap”

I would cheerfully like to offer you some scriptures that, uh, might not be all that encouraging right away.

----------

Seldom set foot in your neighbor’s house, lest he become weary of you and hate you. (Proverbs 25:17, NKJV)

My friends and companions avoid me because of my wounds; my neighbors stay far away. (Psalm 38:11, NIV)

You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend. (Psalm 88:18, NIV)

The poor are shunned even by their neighbors, but the rich have many friends. (Proverbs 14:20, NIV)

Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief. (Proverbs 14:13, NIV)

Open rebuke is better than love carefully concealed. (Proverbs 27:5, NKJV)

Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. (Proverbs 27:6, NKJV)

Let a righteous man strike me -- it is a kindness; let him rebuke me -- it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it. (Psalm 141:5, NIV)

A rebuke impresses a man of discernment more than a hundred lashes a fool. (Proverbs 17:10, NIV)

Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is counted prudent. (Proverbs 17:28, NASB)

----------

Uh, I’ll shut up now. LOL

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, why did you post this? The poor are shunned by their neighbor? That's true from my experience. Check your facebook message because the world does not deserves to hear what i have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it would be funny/serious to post some Bible verses that have stuck out to me during the past few months. God actually has me in a season right now where He's stripping everything away and adding new stuff. Regarding Proverbs 14:20, open your Bible and check out the context. The next verse says it's a sin to despise your neighbor. :) Perhaps 14:20 is saying that money attracts people who aren't real friends. To a degree, this has also been my experience, along with Proverbs 17:1 (Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife). I am encouraged to remember that the world is often attracted to things they can see on the outside rather than on eternal things (see 2 Corinthians 4:18), but Isaiah 53 says that Jesus is familiar with this, was rejected, and suffered. He is our Treasure, and He is the best example of how to live in this world that we don't belong to. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. :)

    ReplyDelete