Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reflections of the third decade, part IXA

I thought of something that I should add to my previous list -- another important thing I learned about myself in 2010. Did I mention I can be really obsessive? LOL!

4) God made me superabsorbent. I’m a lot like a sponge, or maybe a roll of paper towels. I like to spend lots of time thinking about, chewing on, and digesting things. (This kind of fits with something I learned about myself after I graduated from college -- I’m a kinesthetic learner. I learn by doing. I need repetition and trial and error, and I need to be able to ask questions.) I like to absorb ideas and atmosphere and soak it all in. If I hang around people long enough, I can pick up their good habits and their bad habits. I think the trick is to absorb the good and catch myself before I absorb the bad. (Or better yet, let God show me what I should or shouldn’t be absorbing!) Also, for lack of a better phrase, I can really take a beating. For example, if somebody is having a bad day and they vent crazily or spew emotionally at me, I can usually take it -- I’ll absorb it. In the past, this was bad because I was a doormat. I allowed myself to be people’s punching bag, on a regular basis, and this was unhealthy for me. (This contributed to my past depression.) Now I’m learning to draw boundaries and basically tell people, “OK, that’s enough. Please stop spewing on me.” A few months ago, I took a spiritual gifts test for church, and it surprised me to find out that I’m gifted in martyrdom. This means that I’ll probably be one of the first ones to speak up and say, “Excuse me, but this is right” or “This is wrong, and I don’t care how badly you beat me up. I need to speak up.” Hmm. Another reason why I’m glad I named this blog Windowbrawl. When it’s time to do so, I’ll put up my dukes. Uh-oh, I just thought of something else.

5) I’m a fighter, not a lover. Dang it, no wonder I’m still single! LOL!

Thanks again for reading. :)

2 comments: