Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Equilibrium

A couple of weeks ago, I was hit with a really crazy illness. I didn’t go to the doctor because I just don’t like to see doctors unless I need an ER. (They usually just tell me, “You’re healthy as a horse, you need to take care of yourself, you’ll feel better in a few days, and now you owe me $60.” LOL!) So, based on my symptoms and comparing them with stories that some friends shared with me, I basically just had a sinus problem. After some decongestant, serious bed rest, and lots of prayer, I’m healthy as a horse again. (Thanks again, everyone who’s reading this, who prayed for me. :))

What happened was, I got a very, very, very bad dizzy spell that lasted for about 4 or 5 days. Sometimes, I get dizzy spells when I’m sleep-deprived, so some sleep and/or caffeine make them go away. But this time, it was very, very, very bad. This is a public blog, so I’ll spare you the details of how sick the dizziness made me. I almost went to the ER, and I was pretty scared at a few points. Another thing that concerned me was that I hoped I didn’t inherit the benign vertigo condition that my mom suffered from. (Her medical treatment involved a doctor slowly moving her head in certain directions and her not moving or bending over for 3 days.) I was very blessed and relieved to still be able to take care of myself during my entire illness.

What was so crazy was the dizziness -- I’ve seriously never had balance problems that were that bad. Being sober and not being able to walk a straight line was scary. My vision swirling counterclockwise every few seconds was freaky. Teeter-tottering all over the place, even smacking my head down on my pillow when I’d lie down, well... let’s just say I was sore from several days of constantly steadying myself. A friend of mine suggested that I plant one leg on the floor to steady myself, as an anchor. I didn’t get a chance to try that, but frankly, I hope I wouldn’t have that opportunity again. :) I’m very thankful that I’m 100% well now, but I learned a lot while I was sick.

From what I understand, I got sick because stuff from my sinuses drained into my inner ear. In the human body, where is the equilibrium controlled? In the head, in the inner ear. What happens when the inner ear gets out of whack? WHAM, it throws the entire body off balance. In the body of Christ, who is the Head? Christ. (See Ephesians 4:15.) If something happens in our church family, who controls the equilibrium and brings us back to where we need to be? Christ. Who is our Anchor? Christ.

While we’re living in this world, life can hit us hard. WHAM. Sometimes, several things come at us all at once or in succession. You lose your job, you break up with your boyfriend, someone hurts your feelings, a dream gets crushed, you get sick. WHAM, WHAM, WHAM, WHAM, WHAM. How can anyone regain their balance, and keep from falling, after getting hit so many times? Christ. In Matthew 7:24-28, Jesus explains that whoever hears and does what He says to do is like a wise man who builds his house on a rock. The weather and the elements beat harshly against the house -- WHAM, WHAM, WHAM -- but it didn’t fall because it had a good foundation. I’m also comforted to know that Psalm 145:14 says God will uphold all those who fall and lift up all who are bowed down. I’m sure He’ll do that for whoever will let Him. :)

I’m also sure glad He won’t charge me $60 every time I ask Him to fix me. LOL!

4 comments:

  1. Often i forget to thank Jesus for the healthy body he's given me. I don't suffer from long term pain, including headaches, unless it's self-inflicted. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Quang. :) Yeah, it's often when I'm sick that I'm like, "AAGH! Thankful for my health!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tirzah...wonderful insight! What a pleasure to get to read your blog and enjoy your writing. So glad you're back to normal (well, horse normal that is) !! P.S. Frankie says HI and Merry Christmas to ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sherri! :D Please tell Frankie Meow for me.

    ReplyDelete