Thursday, August 15, 2013

Delayed reactions, part 6

I posted this photo simply for the sake of adorableness.

Reader, you might want to take a couple of steps back and grab some paper towels. I'm about to hawk up a spiritual hairball. The following are frequently heard catchphrases and/or behaviors that I encountered in spiritually abusive environments (or just heard from people who were saturated in these environments) that have irked me after the fact. Yes, I've said these things and done these things myself, too. I think I may have already hawked out part of this hairball in other online forums to a degree. But I think I finally understand how wrong these catchphrases/behaviors can be.

1) "I'm not there yet." You're not where yet? Are you comparing your walk with Jesus with somebody else's walk? Or are you putting somebody else on a pedestal? Sure, it's OK to be inspired by somebody. It's always a great idea to admire somebody's response to a situation or to look up to somebody as a good example. But to immediately compare your character with somebody else's? I think maybe that's insecurity or inferior pride. "Wow, this person is awesome! But I suck. See how immature I still am? Look at meeee!" Why are you shifting the focus from the person who is walking victoriously to yourself? Would it kill you to just rejoice with those who rejoice? Have you ever wept with those who weep?

If this is how you treat yourself, how would you treat me? If I come to you with a problem, if I ask you for help, would you immediately point to a pedestal and ask me why I'm not there yet? "You're supposed to be walking in love. You're supposed to be walking in joy. You're supposed to be walking in peace." I understand now more than ever why I fell into such a deep depression so many years ago -- or at least one reason why. You weren't available to help pull me out.

2) "We covet your prayers." Have you ever read the Ten Commandments? If so, I'm intrigued as to why you selected the word "covet" to communicate your desire. Do you understand that "covet" has an extremely negative connotation? The Ten Commandments say to NOT "covet." The creepy chick at the Church's Fried Chicken drive-thru coveted my car. I no longer patronize that particular establishment. Are you trying to sound smart when you say "covet"? Why can't you just say, "We want your prayers?" Or, "Please pray for us?" It's OK to keep it simple. It's not OK to sound like the creepy Hispanic chick who made me feel like the object of her flirtation.

3) "God gives priority to the prayers of lost people." I heard this once from a guy who repeatedly lectured me about the un-biblicalness of the gifts of the Holy Spirit moving today. According to him, being filled with the Holy Spirit meant reading the Bible. Logically, would this also mean that lost people who read the Bible are filled with the Holy Spirit? I cracked open the Bible for myself and found some very interesting things. Psalm 66 says that if I cherish sin in my heart, God will NOT hear me. Psalm 145 says that God is near to ANYONE who cries out to Him sincerely. And Psalm 34 says that God's eyes are on the RIGHTEOUS and that He's listening for their cry. Logically, I think this means that God gives priority to His children. Yes, of course God wants to hear the prayers of lost people, and He wants to answer their prayers. (I believe He's also extremely, urgently interested in finding lost people.)

But perhaps if this guy who misinformed me valued his children, he would understand the concept of a loving Father actively listening for the cries of His children. No, the Holy Spirit won't flex your muscles for you whenever He wants to lead you. No, people who pray in tongues aren't hypnotizing themselves. But maybe you should check out Galatians 5 and see if you've ever given the Holy Spirit a chance to bear some of His fruit in your life. And speaking of praying in tongues...

4) Can you please not pray in tongues under your breath while I'm talking to you about my life? That makes me feel like a freak. I know you're about to pray for me, and I know I need prayer, but why exactly are you praying in tongues while I'm talking? Are you, like, binding a spirit of hesitation or something? I hope you, uh, understand that, uh, the fact that you're muttering in your prayer language during our conversation is, uh, distracting the heck out of me.

5) Not everyone needs his or her own newsletter. That's for vocational missionaries. For everyone else, there's social media. A Christmas letter is one thing, but a non-Christmas update about your non-missionary life is a bit much. You know who else prints newsletters? Corporations. Just out of curiosity, how many cubicles and breakrooms does your one-room apartment have? Is that all I am to you? a stockholder? And speaking of missionaries...

6) Just because I met you and had a couple of conversations with you doesn't mean I want you to target me for support-letter spam. You may "covet" my prayers, but I do not "covet" your requests for money and micromanaged prayer. "Hi, we're going to take a two-week break from mission stuff, so we're going to go on vacation in Sri Lanka. Please pray that we would book an affordable flight, that we would walk in joy during the flight, that we would not have any flight delays, that we would have a safe flight, that we would have opportunities to do even more mission work during our flight while we're taking a break from our regular mission work, pray for divine appointments, pray that would have enough money to tip our cab driver, pray that our cab would be driven by an unbeliever so that we could share Jesus with him, pray that we would have a safe journey to the hotel room, that we would be good stewards with our fun spending money, that we would have wisdom in how we spend our money, that we would be the hands and feet of Jesus while we're out shopping, pray for "Bob" and "Mary" who own a cute little shop near the main market, pray for "John" and "Mike" whom we met on the beach, pray that we would have a safe trip back, pray for good health, pray for team unity, pray that God would provide enough money for us to pay for cab fare back to our house, pray that we would become re-acclimated to our mission life." OK, I GET IT! Are you sure you really want me to pray for you? It sounds like you've already got everything covered. In the future, I would appreciate it if you would allow me to go to God myself and let Him talk to me about what you need. I would appreciate being able to use my imagination whenever I pray for you. It's OK. I'm a human being, too. I know what other human beings need.

You know who else spams me for support? Baylor. I loved my time at Baylor overall, I'm thankful for the degree they gave me, and I like seeing my framed diploma hanging on my wall. But for crying out loud, I walked the stage nearly 16 years ago. I've been an alumna for nearly 16 years. I stopped being a Baylor student nearly 16 years ago. When I applied for student loans, I don't remember Baylor offering me a discount so that I would have money leftover to donate to their school. And another thing about that: I know they're a private college, but why are they so frickin' expensive? Why not tone it down on the pomp and circumstance and just go no-frills? And why do they keep mailing me magazines and bothering me for money? I'm still in the process of getting off their mailing lists. I don't remember their degree helping me get a six-figure job. Baylor profs get to live it up. I got to sell back many of my books so that I could pay my share of my first month of post-college rent.

I understand that you're a missionary who's endeavoring to fulfill God's call on your life. But you are not Baylor. You do not need your own magazine, especially if you're doing undercover missionary work in a country where you could get shot for sharing the Gospel. Hello, aren't you afraid of blowing your own cover? Can you maybe think of a more discreet way of sharing your needs with us? Don't you have enough financial support by now? If you don't, shouldn't you yourself pray about doing something else or supplementing your income another way? And who are all these people in your photographs? Did you obtain their permission before you published them? "Hey, I'm going to send all these pictures to people who will pray for you. You don't mind me telling them that you're lost, do you?"

I would like to wring the neck of whoever thought up the concept of missionary fridge magnets. I understand that you're a missionary, and I will pray for you whenever God nudges me to do so. But why do you insist on me tacking you up on my refrigerator? Do you want me to pray for you 3 times a day? Do you want me to pray for you whenever I get hungry? Do you think my fridge is ugly, so you want to spruce it up with your smile? Does my fridge bore you? Just so you know, I don't have a picture of my pastor or his family on my fridge. That would be creepy. I'm not pooping on the concept of prayer, especially for missionaries. I'm just so tired of and creeped-out by the concept of missionary fridge magnets. Do you want me to point to your picture and say, "I'm not there yet" every time I need ketchup?

7) Oh, my gosh, stick a fork in me. I am so done with spiritually abusive environments. I don't actually have a point #7. I just thought it would look pretty to have 7 here. And I wasn't sure how else to transition into my concluding paragraph...

...thusly. If you're a minister who is so full of crap that it's all you have to offer people, I think that means you've flunked. If the legacy you leave God's people is a huge, looming doubt of their salvation, you flunked big-time. If you poop landmines into people's lives, and they need to sign up for classes, counseling, and therapy afterwards, you flunked quite stinkily-volatilely. Do everyone a favor. Poop in the privacy of your own facilities, deactivate your landmines, and let God have His way with you. Jesus didn't die so that you could glue a mask onto your face, climb onto a pedestal, and tell people what to do. He died so that your relationship with His Father would be eternally restored. He died to save you from a death that you seem way too willing to embrace. He died to fix your complicatedness with His simplicity. He died for people because He wanted them, whether you want them or not. And He will always want them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment