Sunday, December 14, 2014

Candy dish

You know how sometimes you go over to somebody's house, or maybe you're at the doctor's office, or maybe even the breakroom at work, and there's this big candy dish there? It usually gets filled around Halloween, but most of the time you will find a candy dish just about anywhere, and it's often faithfully filled up by whoever maintains it. Whoever is in the room as soon as the candy dish is refilled gets first pick of all the good stuff. It's a bummer to visit the candy dish a few days later, after all the good stuff is gone, and see all the reject candy sitting at the bottom of the dish with some bits of stray wrapping. Then if you're desperate for a snack or a sugar rush, you're stuck with all the reject candy -- like Mary Jane candy. Sorry, but I didn't like that stuff when I tried it. I prefer Jolly Ranchers, any flavor. Or Tootsie Roll, any flavor. Or even that plain dollar-store peppermint stuff that's especially plentiful this time of year. (But not Mary Jane. Yecch.)

Well, I don't have a candy dish, but I do have a blog. I intend to fill this post with bite-size nuggets -- and you get first pick! Maybe you won't like some of them. Maybe you will reject the ones that taste like Mary Jane to you. Or maybe you'll like all of them and gobble everything up immediately. But I hope you will enjoy, and don't spoil your dinner!

--------------------

I wonder if the same people who complain about stores selling Christmas stuff in September also complain about people posting sonogram pictures of their baby on Facebook. It's the same concept, right? Early celebration?

--------------------

A small stretch of road in my general vicinity is maintained by a local chapter of atheists, according to a sign posted there. When I drove by it recently, I wondered if perhaps I should confront these road-maintainers about how the road doesn't actually exist; it's really just a figment of their imagination. But I decided not to after all. I think that would be too snarky, even for me.

--------------------

I recently received snail-mail correspondence regarding a 401k that I never had, and I got email spam in my personal inbox regarding a company website that I no longer have access to... because that particular company fired me 8 months ago. I was about to raise a stink about it (it's just inconveniently humiliating), but I was reminded about how wonderful it is to no longer work for a company that isn't anywhere close to having its act together. Thank you for proving my point yet again!

--------------------

During recent visits to the vet, I felt like the doctor was trying to psyche me up for what it's like to own a really old cat -- that my cat won't be very active and will move more slowly. OK, I get it. If I had cataracts, I'd probably move more slowly, too. But doc, you ain't never seen my Macho in full swashbuckling action after dinner. He puts Errol Flynn to shame.

And I'm getting older, too. I'm totally OK with Choochie taking an almost-nap next to me while I'm slouching here typing this. I think all three of us have been very good company for one another while we've been growing old together.

--------------------

I've lived in my apartment for two years now, so I've gone two years 1) without my own washer/dryer 2) without cable and 3) without really cooking for myself (except for cereal, toast, sandwiches, or junk that you can heat up in the microwave like TV dinners, soups, and hot dogs). Heh. And I'm still alive. How about that? Thanks, Lord!

--------------------

Galatians 5 talks about spiritual fruit. I've heard pastors talk about how the fruits of the Spirit take a while to grow, just like how regular fruit like apples, oranges, grapes, etc., take time to grow. That makes sense. If you try to rush the growth of your fruit, you could get into all kinds of trouble.

I think the Robertsons learned this the hard way on a classic episode of Duck Dynasty. Willie bought a vineyard, and he had every intention of turning it into a fully operational wine-producing wing of his business. Unfortunately, he didn't do his homework before he made his purchase, and he discovered that wine is actually produced from a very specific type of grape. He decided that he didn't have time to wait for the right type of grape to grow in his new vineyard, so he recruited his family to help him make his own vintage redneck wine with store-bought grapes and sugar. The results, of course, were disastrous. I believe Jason described the wine as tasting "like a cross between doe urine and jalapeƱo juice."

So, don't rush your fruit growth, and make sure you're letting the right type of fruit grow in the first place. And I am also preaching to myself.

--------------------

Ever since I was preparing to go off to college more than 20 years ago, I've heard and experienced all types of reactions anytime I mention the words "writing" or "writer." The following two examples are my favorites.

Me: "I'm a professional writing major."
Somebody else: "UGH! I hate writing!"

Um, thanks for making me feel socially desirable?

Me: "I'm a writer."
Somebody else: "Oh! You must really like to read!"

Um, no, I really like to WRITE.

--------------------

Recently, I took my car in for some maintenance that turned into several more repairs than I had anticipated. I was thankful to have been able to pay for it all, and I'm thankful to still have a car that works after driving it around the Metroplex for nearly 6 1/2 years.

While the car was in the shop, the dealership insisted on sending me away for a few hours in a loaner car, even though I would have been content to hang out in the waiting room instead. So, I drove a brand-new car for a very short while. I wonder if perhaps it was just a ploy to get me to see what driving a brand-new car was like. Although the drive was smooth and high-tech, I intensely missed my old car. Forget the GPS, the upgraded digital readouts, and the fancy reverse back-out camera. I missed MY old car. I missed the CD player, the felt seats, the wider view in the windshield, and the fact that I've spent the past 6 1/2 years making myself comfortable and making tons of memories in MY car.

And while I was driving around the brand-new loaner car, it clicked for me that God feels the same way about me. I don't want to replace my old car -- MY car -- with a brand-new one. And God doesn't want to replace me -- even though I still need a lot of work and have failed Him plenty of times and have lots of scratches -- with another person. He wants to keep me. He wants me. He has a lot of sentimental value attached to me. I'm in His family. I'm HIS. So, while I was driving around town for a very short while in a brand-new loaner car, I received some majorly deep inner healing.

Hmm. I wonder what my therapist would have charged for a session like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment