Monday, July 13, 2015

2, 3, 4...

The other day while I was driving home and listening to music (Billy Joel, I think), I noticed myself counting off out loud, "2, 3, 4..." almost every time a new section of a song would begin. It was obsessive and hilarious. (I even think I noticed myself doing the same thing after I switched to Queen.) Even after that very fun drive home, I've noticed myself doing the same thing from time to time when I listen to music, if it's a song that I'm already familiar with. This anticipatory counting off is instinctive for me because I'm a singer/musician.

Perhaps this quirky behavior shouldn't surprise me. Metaphorically speaking, God does the same thing all the time. And I am made in His image.

"Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them." (Isaiah 42:9)

"Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isaiah 43:19)

While I was driving home on Friday evening, I was spewing out my complaints about my job and my life in general to God (which He likes me to do, and I really would die if I couldn't do it). I don't remember His exact words, but I remember that I was crying, and He gently comforted me: "Different things are needed in different seasons. Back then, you just needed a job, and you got one. Now you need your dignity back."

While I was trudging to my apartment, I debated whether or not I should attend a church service that evening. I asked God that if I were to go to the service, that He please just speak to me.

So, the pastor that evening preached a little bit about the Bible story about the daughters of Zelophehad. From what I understand, these were the first women in the Bible to inherit property, which they were able to do because their father died without producing any male heirs. The pastor said that these women were very bold and that their story was a significant one because women in biblical times weren't always treated very well. But the daughters of Zelophehad were women of dignity.

I believe that part of the message began in Numbers 27:3. Do you know what one of the preceding verses says?

"Then came the daughters of Zelophehad the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, from the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph; and these were the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah." (Numbers 27:1)

I rarely have the privilege of sitting through a church message where any biblical story about Tirzah is mentioned. So, this past Friday evening, God definitely confirmed what He had already spoken to me. He blessed me. He encouraged me. He overwhelmed me by showing me how important I am to Him, just like He always does.

Just like how everybody is important to Him, and He'll show everybody if they'll just let Him.

 
For the past couple of weeks, I've been giving Macho some medicine orally every 12 hours on a full stomach. I live with both my cats in a small apartment, so there's no use hiding anything from them. Anytime I have to administer some sort of veterinary treatment on them, I like to tell them about it first... even if I have to warn them about my sneakiness. "Is it OK if I trick you into taking some medicine?" "Wow."

So, it didn't take long for Macho to figure out when it was time for me to give him his medication. I would usually say, "Would you like some breakfast and some medicine?" or "Dinner and some medicine?" or "Snacky and some medicine?" etc. Sometimes he would hide under the bed as soon as he was done eating (which would require some fancy cat-herding moves on my part), or he would try to skip a meal altogether (like this morning), and other times he would eat his meal solemnly and then crouch in anticipation of the inevitable (so that I could carry him into the kitchen, force his mouth open, and squirt the stuff down his throat).

But whenever I say, "medicine," Macho has an idea of what to expect. It is very important to me that my cats trust me to deliver whenever and whatever I say I'm going to deliver.

"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

"But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." (2 Peter 3:8)

So, when we musicians count off during a song, it often indicates that something is about to change -- that something new is going to happen. For instance...

2, 3, 4...
Begin verse two.

2, 3, 4...
Bridge.

2, 3, 4...
Key change.

As the metaphorical song of my life plays, I think sometimes God metaphorically counts off every time a new section or season of the song begins. I kinda wish it would go something like this...

2, 3, 4...
Begin new job.

2, 3, 4...
Boyfriend.

2, 3, 4...
Calling fulfilled.

And sometimes things happen that quickly and almost that predictably (especially when you're a kid and don't have anything to worry about except school during the week, cartoons on Saturday, and church on Sunday). But sometimes things don't happen that neatly (far from it -- waaaaay far from it).

In a nutshell, music is half logical math ("theory") and half vague art (the kind of stuff that makes this artsy chick's heart soar). Perhaps both aspects of music also come into play as the metaphorical song of my life plays. I wonder if perhaps God's metaphorical count-offs happen more like this...

2, 3, 4...
Um... sure, you can have a new job... eventually. Like, when you get to heaven, you can work for Me.

2, 3, 4...
[crickets chirping, clock ticking]

2, 3, 4...
Hey, child, have I ever told you the story about the little girl who let her Daddy carry her through the valley of the shadow of death? Oh, I have told you that story? Let Me tell it to you again. It's one of my favorites. Once upon a time...

So, I think I might be on the verge of something new happening in my life, because I think I've heard God metaphorically counting off. And yet... it's very possible that He's counting off (or thinking very seriously about counting off) something that might happen in the distant future... maybe... if everything goes just right... unless He changes His mind and just wants to share an ice-cream cone with me instead.

He can be like that. I think I just need to keep listening and stay ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment