Wednesday, October 4, 2017

MeepMeep

Earlier this week, I got a new cat! Isn't she cute? Since I don't really use anyone's real names on my blog, I'll refer to her by her nickname. I'll start by explaining how she got it.

After I brought her home and she let me start petting her, I thought about PepĂ© Le Pew's feline lady friend -- the black-and-white one who goes, "Le meow, le purr." So, my brain was going in a Looney Tunes direction. Then I heard her meow. It's more of a high-pitched squeak than a meow -- a "beep beep" or a "meep meep," kind of like the roadrunner. Then after she really started getting comfortable around me, I noticed that she moves at lightning speed, and she even has a white racing-stripe-esque spot on her side that's shaped kind of like the Dart bus logo.

So, as far as nicknames go, "LeMeow" and "Looney" didn't really stick in my mind, but "MeepMeep" did. Especially after she started responding to it. Sometimes when I say, "MeepMeep," she darts over to where I am and expects me to pet her. I shall endeavor to meet that expectation as long as we both shall live.

I'd like to tell you a little bit about her.

From what I've been told, MeepMeep is about three years old and lived at my vet's office for about 11 months. The office manager found her at an apartment complex with a kitten. So, MeepMeep has given birth at least once, and she was a feral cat.

But I think living at a vet's office for nearly a year has helped tame her. Her kitten was adopted right away, so I think she spent pretty much all of her time in a large cage by herself, accompanied by a group of rotating medical professionals who were taking care of her. (Which I think explains why she's especially comfortable around my files and paperwork.) The staff kept trying to find a good home for her, but MeepMeep didn't have any real takers.

I met her during Choochie's last two vet visits. In fact, MeepMeep and Choochie met each other (the day that the latter was put down) because MeepMeep lived in the lobby. I reached through the cage bars, pet the cute black-and-white cat, and assured her that Choochie wasn't moving in (because she was on MeepMeep's turf, and female cats are especially territorial). That evening (the evening that Choochie died), I almost took MeepMeep home with me, but I'm glad I didn't, because I was an emotional wreck, of course.

I still get emotional sometimes when I see pictures of Choochie, so I'm pretty sure I'm still grieving her loss. Which makes it even better to have a cat again; it was weird to be a catless cat lady for a week.

But I had a lot to think about during that time. I've actually been thinking and praying about getting another cat for a couple of years.

Back when Macho was sick, I felt like God told me that I needed to choose my own cat. (Every pet that I've ever owned has been either given to me or chosen for me.) After he died, I wanted to keep Choochie only; and I'm glad I did, because I got to focus on her at the end of her life and also because she didn't seem to mind being the only cat around.

Towards the end of Choochie's life, I caught myself visiting PetSmart just to browse. I thought about getting a second cat, but I decided against it because Choochie might not have had the energy to play with a younger cat. I also felt like God said that I only need one cat. (My bank account agrees.) I also felt like He said, "You need a Southlake cat."

Guess where MeepMeep lived for the past 11 months? Southlake.

Practically speaking, I'm still unemployed. I can't afford a pet adoption fee or any neutering/spaying surgical fees. I've also wanted to have a cat WITH claws. (I wouldn't want a declawed cat because declawed cats tend to bite.) In addition, I thought it would be a good idea to have an older girl cat because (as Choochie showed me) they tend to be calmer and don't demand as much attention as kittens do. I love kittens, of course, but at this point in my life, I have some responsibilities on my plate that already demand as much attention as a kitten does.

So, after Choochie died and I started seriously thinking about adopting another cat, I kept all this in mind. I visited a couple of PetSmart stores just to be sure, but I had a feeling that I would end up with MeepMeep... because I bonded with her, and I couldn't get her out of my mind. And I would be getting a free cat. (She's already spayed, and she's caught up on her shots.) As I prayed about it, I basically felt like God said, "You need her, and she needs you."

So, taking inventory...
Older girl cat. Check.
Cat with claws. Check.
Southlake cat. Check.
Affordable cat. Check.
Cat who already knows me and who I've already fallen in love with. Check.

I chose MeepMeep, and I'm glad I did!

This past Monday morning, first thing, I picked her up from the vet's office. The staff came into the lobby and said their tearful goodbyes. They had become very attached to her and, although they were happy that she found a good home, they were sad to see her go. I think that says a lot about them and about my MeepMeep.

As soon as we arrived home and I let her out of the pet carrier, she followed what I guess was a scent trail that Choochie had left behind and slithered under my dresser. Shortly afterwards, she moved under my bed and adopted that as her new home. Very gradually, I began to coax her out of there with food and affection. Over the past couple of days, she's felt comfortable enough to explore the rest of the apartment, but I think the spot under my bed is still her home base.

Her personality is a lot like Macho's was: introverted and clingy. She has all the makings of a lap cat, and today she was finally comfortable enough around me to lounge on my lap (which is where she was in the photo that's at the beginning of this post).

The only strange thing about her (which I also noticed at the vet's office) is that she likes to roll around in her litterbox... I guess for fun... even though she does her business in there... and it makes her smell like FreshStep. I did some research online, and some cat owners said that their kittens did that for a while and then grew out of it. Or maybe when she was a feral cat, she liked to roll around in the dirt. Whatever the reason... um... kitty... no. Gross.

At any rate, I believe this is the beginning of a beauuuuutiful friendship. My adorable new cat has a ferocious purr, a Mama who loves her, and her entire life ahead of her.

Think about it. I adopted a cat with a past... who likes to roll around in her own filth. That's some blogging material right there.

While I was wrapping up the first draft of this post, I called to her ("MeepMeep"), she responded by jumping up on the couch while purring, and she rubbed her cheek on my laptop and on my thigh before she rested her little head on me.


Yep. She's all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment