Sunday, June 3, 2018

Casserole4

TV preachers often have bad reputations, and I think it's because of people like the guy who's been asking people to give $50+ million so that he can buy a new private jet. Seriously? I think I've completely lost respect for the guy.

In contrast, the pastor of my church -- who happens to preach on TV -- told us yesterday that our church building's debt is completely paid off now. That's awesome. I'm not debt-free yet (far from it!), but I sure am glad that my church building is. And they didn't even ask for donations for that particular item in the budget.

Incidentally, Jesus didn't ask for donations to buy a donkey. From what I understand, He just borrowed one for a one-time ride. But, you know, whatevs.

----------------------------

The content that I'm about to share in this segment of the casserole is very deep and personal to me, so I debated on whether or not I should share it at all. But since this is basically my online diary where I process and document stuff, and since the things going on in my life could hopefully encourage somebody else on their journey (and since I felt like God nudged me to share it), I'm gonna go for it. And, due to copyright issues, I'm going to keep some details vague on purpose.

A few days ago, an out-of-state church held a conference in my area, and my church choir was invited to sing along with the worship team one night. The fact that they were recording live tracks for their new album -- with our voices -- was extra cool.

During soundcheck that afternoon, I recognized the melody from one of their new songs -- from my head! I had been wanting to write a song around almost that exact portion of the melody. So, for a few seconds, I was jealous. (Hey, that's my song!) Then I realized that since nobody ever sings my songs, anyway (except me), I'm glad that that particular melody will be recorded and sung by somebody. (I mean, it's not like the out-of-state church people invaded my living room while I was composing and stole my tune.) Then I realized... wait. I actually hear stuff?

I've been writing worship songs off and on for the past 20 years. The closest I've ever come to cutting an album was the one time when a friend set up a mic in another friend's living room; I sat on the floor with my guitar and played my repertoire for a couple of hours. (I still have the CD, but its content is pretty raw and unedited, like a collection of demos.)

A few years after that amateur recording session, I was part of a worship team, and I got to lead one of my songs one evening for a church-department gathering. I believe it was the pastor of that department who approached me after the worship set and told me that a line in my song was theologically incorrect.

So, I wrestled with that for a while (because the whole point of me including that line in my song was to express my heart to God). I even met with the worship pastor at that church, I think to ask for his counsel. He explained that as a songwriter, people are always going to suggest new lyrics for your songs whenever you sing them publicly... but that he could understand why some people could take that one line in the song the wrong way.

So, I ended up revising that song twice. I've been happy with the final result, but nobody really sings it but me. (My poor little Frankensong. Heh.)

One thing that God has been showing me lately is that my church isn't going to sing all of my songs, and I need to be OK with that. (I've been at my church for almost nine years now, and lots of people write songs that nobody really sings anymore... so hopefully I'm in good company.)

At any rate, I haven't written music in a long time, and I'm nowhere near as prolific as I once was. (I think maybe a pastor telling me that my lyrics were theologically incorrect kind of threw a wrench in the works for a while.) Hopefully, songwriting is one of my talents that have been in the bank collecting interest in the spirit of Matthew 25.

But I think that might change soon.

As I was saying, my choir sang along with the worship team from an out-of-state church during a conference one night. When we got to the song where I recognized the melody from the song that I had wanted to write, God told me, "Watch this." After a few moments, I realized that one phrase from the first verse and another phrase from the second verse are also in ANOTHER one of my songs -- my poor little Frankensong that nobody sings but me.

At every stage of development -- from the accidentally theologically incorrect version to the final version -- I've sung that song to God dozens if not hundreds of times throughout the years. But on that platform, while my choir was singing with the out-of-state church, God poured that song back to me.

And I finally remembered that I HAD written that song with the cool melody after all. (I had just forgotten about it. Cuz we artists can be spacey like that.) So, in that one new song were not one but TWO of my songs.

So, while we were singing that song, written by people from the out-of-state church, sounding a lot like my music, I felt like God asked me, "Are you ready to start something new?"

While I've sung on the worship platform with my church, there have been two or three moments between me and God that were so deep that I ugly-cried, sobbing almost uncontrollably. That night was one of those moments. (If you hear sobbing on the new album, it might be me.)

I felt like that very special night validated me as a songwriter. This out-of-state church is known worldwide for its music, and if I can hear the same musical frequency that they can, then I'm not a screw-up. I have all the tools I need to proceed with that aspect of my calling.

----------------------------

I think one theme or motif of my life right now is vindication. Every time I see a certain Baptist leader in the news (the guy who has messed-up views on women and abuse), I remember that he was the guy who fired Dad. His name was not a popular one in my house while I was growing up, mainly because Dad's layoff launched an extended poverty in our family. (And possibly because Mom never really learned how to forgive people.)

So, now that his name isn't exactly a popular one in the entire Baptist community anymore, well... let's just say what goes around comes around.

----------------------------

I think it's simultaneously interesting and ironic that God gifts shy, introverted people with creativity -- a gift that requires an audience. I might be a private and reserved person who keeps to herself a lot, but if you put a mic in my hand and put me on a worship platform at church, people will look at me. The irony is that I don't really want everyone to look at me; I'd rather be in my living room singing or creating something by myself. But it's interesting that someone like me who's terrible at making small talk and chitchatting with people has a calling with a built-in conversation-starter: "Hey, you sing on the worship team!"

But I love the worship platform. I feel like the more I show up and do my thing, the more confident I am when I do it. And, of course, the whole point of me being up there is for people to look at me, for me to point people to God, and for people to be encouraged to worship Him. When people look at me, they need to see Him.

Unfortunately, I don't think everyone realizes that that's the whole point of being on the platform. I've learned that when you have a mic in your hand and a camera in your face, you instantly become a celebrity. When people see you in the hallways at church, they feel like they know you, and they start talking to you. Sometimes they offer you some pretty heavy flattery. I've seen people kind of make fools of themselves when they're in the presence of a worship leader who's just minding their own business at church.

And then a few weeks later, you show up for church on your day off in a T-shirt and blue jeans, and they completely ignore you because you're just another face in the hallway.

And all of that is OK. As long as people worship God and I don't get in the way, it's all good. I wouldn't trade that for anything else.

----------------------------

 

One morning while I was waking up, I saw MeepMeep's adorable little masked face in the dark, and I thought to myself, It's almost impossible to say No to that face. I felt like God basically said, "I feel the same way about you."

I think this truth is still steeping into my spirit. If I'm God's child, He wants me to be bold enough to ask Him for stuff. (Like MeepMeep demanding some affection as soon as I wake up.) He wants me to be brazen enough to approach Him for things, to ask some tough questions, and to express my heart to Him in ways that I can't express to anyone else.

He delights in me. He wants to be close to me. He wants to make sure that I have everything I need. And He feels that way about ALL of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment