Sunday, February 17, 2019

Phenomenal protection

Since I use this blog to process the things that are happening in my life, and since I’ve currently been dealing with some health issues, that’s what I’m going to write about today. Thanks in advance for reading. (And maybe this post could also be titled “Things that make you go Hmmmmm.”)

The other day during one of my quiet times -- maybe about a month ago? -- I don’t remember His exact words, but God basically told me, “I’ve been preserving your life.” I also don’t remember the exact passage of scripture that I was reading or thinking about at the time, but it may have been this one...

“The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore.” (Psalm 121:7-8)

Perhaps you remember me mentioning in a previous post about how I’ve lost a ton of weight ever since I lost my last full-time job. In that same post, I also mentioned how I had a weird health scare in which my right arm and leg felt tingly and numb for a few days (not quite as intense as the scare that I had two Thursdays ago that sent me to the ER). Now that I FINALLY have some health insurance, I’ve finally begun to get some answers.

In addition to having high blood pressure, I’ve been diagnosed with a heart murmur. I’ve been making some lifestyle changes that I had been trying to do before all this stuff hit the fan (trying to exercise, trying to watch my salt intake, trying to eat foods that can lower a person’s blood pressure). And it’s interesting that I’ve been dealing with all of this shortly after going back to school full-time, not working full-time. I actually HAVE some time to devote to myself.

Which reminds me of something that God told me a few months ago: “You’re more important than finding a job.”

Did the stress of going back to school, the stress of finding part-time work, or the stress of my financial situation in general contribute to my current health crisis? Maybe. But at the doctor’s office earlier this week, I was told that this has been brewing for quite some time.

I’ve known that I’ve had high blood pressure for at least a decade or so, but it’s never been officially diagnosed or treated (until now). And I’ve known that my genetics could put me at risk for blood pressure and heart issues. And I’ve done what I can do to take care of myself -- although now I understand that I need to up the ante.

But I can only do so much to help myself. I think Somebody else has been taking care of the rest.

 

In the past month or so, I’ve felt myself lose even more weight. It’s been confirmed at the healthcare facilities in which I’ve weighed in around 143 -- while I was wearing jeans and shoes. (I don’t think my dinky little scale at home works very well, unless I suddenly gained 7 pounds in the past few days. I mean, I’ve had a hard time keeping my pajama pants up, even though I’ve been keeping the drawstrings pretty tight.)

So, I’ve lost about 40 pounds in the past year and a half. That weight loss has been mostly involuntary (with some intentional exercise and a short spurt of physically demanding work) due to a loss of income. And, not to mention, due to the loss of that huge pantry of free food and soda that was available to me at my previous full-time workplace. I wasn’t able to find a way to earn the same amount of income that I had been earning a year and a half ago, which forced me to spend less money on food and to eat less. Consequently, I had seen my weight loss as a problem.

But what if it was actually a blessing? What if it was actually a HUGE way of God protecting me?

With my current health issues, I think I would have been ordered to lose weight. But what if I had ended up getting a cushy, well-paying job that wouldn’t have forced me to lose weight? What if I had stayed heavier and THEN had stroke symptoms or developed heart issues? Would I still be alive?

While I was thinking about that this morning, God basically had a knowing smirk on His face and was like, “Now do you believe Me?” Yes, Lord, now I believe You. I trust You. Usually when He and I have this type of conversation, He’ll say something like, “Not bad, huh?” Nope. Not bad at all.

A little while ago, I was doing some research about my new blood pressure medicine, and I learned that it was recalled a few months ago -- but only when coupled with a certain heart medicine -- I believe due to a cancer-causing carcinogen. What if I had received medical attention and begun treatment for my blood pressure and heart murmur several months ago? Would I have been prescribed the drug combination that was recalled? Would I have been exposed to something that could have given me cancer -- on top of everything else?

I like seeing God work. And now it looks like my life is depending on it.

“Who is the man who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.” (Psalm 34:12-14)

“Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.” (Psalm 50:15)

“He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.” (Psalm 23:3)

I’ve heard that when you restore something, like an antique car, you take it apart and put it back together again. God has been in the process of restoring me. From what I understand, He’s been taking apart the different components that make up my life -- my emotional component, my spiritual component, etc., and now my physical component. I’ve been told that all of these components are connected, and now I understand more than ever how one or more can affect the others.

So, my word for 2019 is “phenomenon/phenomenal.” Just as 2018 was “the year of the ‘suddenly,’ ” 2019 is “the year of the close call.” At least, that’s how it is for me.

And it’s not all about me. God wants to preserve your life, too. It’s OK. You can trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment