Friday, April 24, 2009

Not my cup of tea?

I heard about these tea parties that popped up everywhere last week with my fellow Republicans, and I feel slightly sad that I missed out on the excitement. But just slightly.

I hope I'm not being passive about all this. The day I found out that Sarah Palin was picked as a Vice-Presidential candidate, I was no longer embarrassed to be a Republican. I voted for Mike Huckabee for President in March '08, and I like his idea about abolishing the income tax altogether.

But I'm just so burned out on politics right now to keep up with everything that's going on. I didn't vote for him, but Obama is President, and I pray that God will give him wisdom in office. Honestly, I don't fully trust the President yet, but he's got an opportunity to earn my trust. I know my Republican party is trying to harness some momentum, but I think it's way too early to criticize Obama in his Presidency. I mean, he's only been sworn in for 3 months. Give him a break. If I'm gonna hit the streets to zealously protest something, I'm gonna save it for something I feel truly passionate about, like the abortion issue or family issues or teaching Creationism in schools or some other controversial issue that I'd gladly take a stand on, no matter how many people it offends.

No, I don't like paying taxes, probably just like everyone else in America, but it's something I've kinda gotten used to. Even Jesus said in the Bible to give Caesar what is Caesar's and give God what is God's. (In other words, I pay taxes to Uncle Sam when he says I owe him, and I pay God through the church, etc., when He says I owe Him.) But if President Obama wants to give me an economic stimulus, as a lump sum or $13 at a time, I'm not gonna turn that away.

That's how I feel for now. Later, who knows? If taxes in my country get worse, and folks organize more tea parties in the future, I may just join the party. :) But I hope I won't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment