Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Civilization


I might be a teensy bit obsessed with the topic of spiritual abuse -- this post could also be titled Spiritual Abuse Part IV. (If you missed Part III, you can read it here. No, I still haven't read the second half of the book yet.) I've discovered that a spiritually abusive/Pharisaical/extremely self-righteous environment is basically its own brand of civilization (or lack of civility). It has its own set of unspoken rules (or rules that are spoken ad nauseam), its own invisible prison with a need for its own invisible rehab program, its own communicable disease with a desperation for its own cure and recovery process. Spiritual abuse is a culture, a way of life that you might not want to leave until you discover what it is and/or learn how deeply entrenched it could become in every cell of your heart, soul, and brain. If you were to be attached to a spiritually abusive system for, say, 36 years, it could take quite a while to detach, detox, and rebuild.

Speaking of rebuilding, the photo above is a picture of one of my cats hunched over one of my laundry bags. (Aw, you know I mean business when I post a cat photo. See how adorably Macho's stripes match my wooden floor? He matches my wooden guitar, too. I'd love to ramble about how God is the funnest Being in the universe, and about how He likes to mess with His children in the safest, most loving, most playful way possible, but I think I've already digressed. My other cat Choochie also looks wildly adorable if you comb the fur on her head into a fohawk.) I've known my cats for 12 and 13 years, but the mere concept of a laundry bag is a novelty to them because I never used a laundry bag before this new season of my life. I moved into a new apartment about a month ago, and it's smaller, cozier, and easier to clean than my old apartment. My new apartment doesn't have washer/dryer connections like my old apartment did (which means that I don't have to worry about cleaning dryer lint in my bathroom or kitchen), so I've embarked on a new laundromat adventure. The apartment laundry centers kinda turned out to be duds, so I'm planning to mainly drive to nearby coin laundries.

The first time this month that I used one of those beautifully dilapidated facilities that had the soundtrack to an arcade game playing incessantly in the background, I dumped my dirty laundry into one of the machines, plunked in my quarters, and enjoyed a Purex-scented trip down memory lane. I was delightfully reminded of the first time I was "away from home," even if it was in a posh college dorm, and being an adult who was empowered with the basic ability to do basic things for herself like wash her own laundry with quarters. Sigh! Freedom smells like fresh linen. In this new season of my life, instead of lugging my dirty laundry in a plastic basket down a dorm hallway, I thought I could maintain a bit of privacy by using opaque laundry bags. To me, it's a meticulously thought-out system. To my cats, it's a new set of drawstring toys.

Reader, in case you're scratching your head and thinking, "Why is Tirzah such an overgrown teenager who makes such a big deal about doing her own laundry? Was she raised by wolves?" I'll solve the mystery for you. I was raised by Pharisees.

"But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.' " (Matthew 23:5-7)

"You eat the fat and clothe yourself with the wool; you slaughter the fatlings, but you do not feed the flock." (Ezekiel 34:3)

"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men -- extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.' " (Luke 18:11)

"Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23:28)

I'm trying to be as honest as I can without outright slandering anybody. I was raised to be a Pharisee. It is a way of life that may be appealing on the outside, but those of us who have had an inside look know how gruesome, anxious, and downright terrifying of an existence it can be. Abusers are basically bullies. Spiritual abusers are bullies in three-piece suits or shiny-flowered dresses with a huge Bible in one hand and an invisible gun in the other. They are people who were more than likely spiritually abused as children, so that's the only way of life they really know, and so they grew up very insecure. The quickest fix to insecurity (and it's definitely NOT a fix at ALL) is to puff yourself up by shooting somebody else down. The result is a tragedy that often affects multiple lives simultaneously.

Spiritual abusers (whether they abuse on purpose or accidentally) usually are mainly concerned with looking good in front of other people. Pharisees especially will suppress, belittle, abuse, and use others to make themselves look good. Worse yet, they'll make a mockery of Jesus by doing all of their abuse in His name. Of course, Jesus is NOT cool with this. Matthew 23, for example, is an entire chapter full of meek, sinless, perfect, gentle Jesus really letting the Pharisees HAVE IT.

Since they're so skilled at looking polished on the outside, some Pharisees are difficult to spot unless they have their own "if you don't give me your money, God will be mad at you" TV show. Pharisees are chameleons. They're copycats who will mimic other spiritual leaders without giving them credit. For example, I once heard my pastor preach a sermon about rejection, and he admitted vulnerably to us that when he feels rejected, "I become a different person." Sometime later, I was having a conversation with someone who I now consider to be spiritually abusive, and he said, without any credits, footnotes, or bibliographies, "If I feel like you're rejecting me, I become a different person." I'm a writer by profession, so I understand how serious plagiarism can be, and I don't think verbal plagiarism is cool, either.

Pharisees/spiritual abusers create and/or reproduce a culture of shame, distrust, and arrogance that usually doesn't have any room for love (which, according to 1 Corinthians 13, isn't puffed up, rude, or excited about evil). In a spiritually abusive environment, all outsiders are usually distrusted, highly criticized, and gossiped about behind their backs. The spiritual leader of the environment is usually the head honcho who has accomplished more than his cultish followers or is simply just shinier than his cultish followers. I say "his" because most people who are skilled at thumping Bibles don't believe, theoretically, that women should be the main leaders.  And notice that I didn't say it's an actual, official cult. (Does it have to be?) This head honcho demands respect from all his cultish followers, or else. He more than likely grew up as a very insecure little boy, found Jesus (if he's saved at all), and never grew up emotionally. He expects everybody to agree with him without asking questions, or if they ask him questions, they should expect to be debated, and they should expect to be wrong, because he always has to be right, or else. He more than likely does NOT believe that each person has a free will, and he more than likely believes that each person must be forced to follow Jesus, obey God, etc. (Technically, I've been talking about spiritual abuse within the context of Christianity, although I don't think, unfortunately, that other religions are exempt from having spiritual abuse.) He more than likely operates under the delusion that he can force people to make him look good, or else. He more than likely believes that he can force people to do whatever he wants. (Interestingly and ironically, he has become his own god, ¿que no?)

Once his cultish followers have his undying devotion, his unwavering loyalty, then he can easily fill their heads with his ideas that were more than likely handed down to him from a previous generation of spiritual abusers. (I think Jesus referred to this in Matthew 23:15 as being "twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.") Usually when this happens, basic common sense flies out the window to make room for more rules. For example, one preacher who I followed cultishly used to tell us, if I remember correctly, that the concepts of "self-esteem" and "self-worth" were humanistic and, therefore, wrong. If I remember correctly, he broke down the phrase "self-esteem" and said that it's "esteeming self," which is self-worship and, therefore, sin. It's interesting that I attempted suicide while I was a member of his church.

Spiritual abuse was a major stumbling block -- or a heavily weighted block of crap, depending on how you look at it -- to my mental well-being. In addition to my pastor, the opinions of other Pharisees in my life at the time kept me from getting the mental-health help that I desperately needed. I had been told by one of these Pharisees that modern psychology was just secular humanism (I think he actually could benefit from a few visits to a psychotherapist, quite frankly), and what would these Pharisees in my life think of me if I got help via modern psychology? How would I be able to answer to them or face them? Well, if I had known back then what I know now, that they were Pharisees and not people who wholeheartedly cared about my mental health, I possibly would have told them to take their heavily weighted stumbling block and shove it. But I digress. Ultimately, God is the One who pulled me out of my pit, but by that time I had deteriorated so badly that I needed modern psychology, modern medicine, all the King's horses, and all the King's men to put Tirzah back together again.

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise." (Proverbs 11:30)

"But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached." (Philippians 1:18a, NIV)

Reader, I normally don't like to rate my blog posts, but I will need to make at least the following two paragraphs rated PG-13. Pardon my French, but I don't think I can express what I'm about to say without being a bit vulgar. If I exist in a spiritually abusive environment, I am expected to be evangelism's bitch. I don't mean any disrespect toward my heavenly Father by saying that, and I certainly don't have anything against evangelism. (Why else would I be rambling about how much I like my Jesus? He's my Friend. He's my King. He's my Lord. But people have made Him look bad. I want you to know what He's really like.) I mean to communicate the demeaning connotation that a "bitch" is a second-class creature who is expected to wait on her master hand and foot, and she's only good for one thing. You know what I mean. If a head honcho tells his subordinate, "Come here, bitch," she better come here and do exactly as she is told, or else. That is almost exactly how I felt when I lived in a spiritually abusive/Pharisee-controlled environment. At almost every church meeting, there had to be publically shared testimonies of people getting saved, or else. Yes, people need to get saved, and they need to follow Jesus! But God created them with a free will, so we can't force people to follow Jesus. We can't make people get saved. We can't save people ourselves, period. Yes, we Christians need to share our faith, because we have access to the only Way to know God, but we can't shove truth down people's throats. That isn't loving people.

Those two Bible verses I quoted above were often misquoted in spiritually abusive environments where I felt like I was evangelism's bitch. I couldn't enjoy a movie in my own apartment without feeling guilty about not being out on the street sharing the gospel like a good little bitch. I couldn't even take a day off and observe an actual Sabbath because I was always thinking that I needed to waste my life on Jesus like a good little bitch. My citizenship was in heaven (and it still is, by the way, and it always will be), and while I was on earth, the only thing I was good for was recruiting other people to come with me and become bitches like me. Doing anything else at all besides evangelism -- including normal everyday HEALTHY things such as laundry -- was seen as worldly and a waste of time, unless you used your activity as a platform for evangelism. Yes, as a follower of Jesus, His life needs to permeate everything I do, and in that sense, of course I need to be an evangelist everywhere I go. And yes, especially if He tells me to speak up, I better speak up. But I don't hear the doom of "or else" in my head anymore. I don't think Jesus went through the trouble of being born of a virgin, living a real life here on earth, dying on the cross in my place, and getting raised from the dead just so that He could preach a wussy, immature little "you better do this or else, and I'm going to make you obey" gospel through me. Yes, He's the only Way, the only Truth, and the only Life, and He's totally my Lord. I believe, very honestly, that anyone who wants to stay away from eternal hell and live in eternal heaven needs to believe in Jesus, or else. But I don't think Jesus would ever force anyone to believe in Him, and I don't think He would ever call me a bitch. How effective do you think I was at winning souls if I was constantly tied up with misplaced guilt? The expert soul-winners were raising missionary support so they could go do their thang in a foreign country. The head-honcho soul-winners were sitting on their high-and-mighty seats of authoritative superiority. And I was a measly little worship leader.

What do you think this type of thinking did to my self-esteem, my sense of self-worth, my sense of identity as a human being altogether? It's a miracle that people like me are still alive.

This is why walking to a semi-flooded apartment laundromat on a semi-rainy morning with an opaque laundry bag is a beautiful thing to me. It's beautiful because I chose to do it myself. It's beautiful because I wasn't oppressed into a submissive little corner while any Pharisee head honchos barked orders at me that I needed to obey "or else." It's beautiful because my decision to get rid of my washer and dryer wasn't micromanaged by a spiritually abusive person who believes they can control me by pointing a guilt-loaded invisible gun at my head. It's beautiful because I understand now more than ever that I'm a maturing human being who knows how to clean up her own messes and is fully capable of taking care of herself. It's beautiful because I know now that human beings aren't being secular or humanistic when they do "worldly" things like do their own laundry -- they're healthy, civilized human beings. And yes, I don't care how crazy you think I am, but I like to talk to my God about teensy little things like laundry quarters and dryer sheets and Purex. And He likes to hear me talk to Him. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why He saved me in the first place -- so I could be His. He doesn't need me to make Him look good, and He doesn't need to verbally beat me into submission. He loved me first, and now I love Him. This is the God that I will gladly introduce to anyone who wants to know Him.

I am a human being whom God meticulously thought out long before I was even born. After I got lost, He bought me back with Jesus. Even if no one else were to want me, my God will always want me. That is my sense of self-worth, my self-esteem. There ain't nothin' self-worshiping or sinful about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment