Friday, January 25, 2013

Miscellaneous thoughts and revelations



1) Just because you've been rejected and/or abandoned doesn't mean you're a loser. In fact, especially if rejection and/or abandonment has happened to you repeatedly, God could quite possibly use that pain later to motivate you to be extra-accepting to other people or to teach you about how He feels or for some other redeemed reason that's way too awesome for me to think of. (If I sound like a broken record because I've blogged about rejection previously, well, that topic has been kindasorta on my mind during the past few years.) See that photo above of my extremely beloved cats? I ended up with each one of them separately because their previous owners for some reason or other decided that they should have new homes and/or that I should have them. I'm certainly extremely glad that I have them now. But, as I learned sometime after their previous owners gave them up, they were basically replaced later by other cats. In essence, these precious little (and humongous) mounds of extremely beloved fur were rejected.

There's nothing wrong with these cats. In the core of their very beings, they were created by a God who knew exactly what He was doing when He made them, and He knew exactly how much I would love them. Yes, they're pets. Yes, they're animals. Yes, they're technically, legally, property, so they can be owned and humanely discarded. But in the nearly decade and a half that I've known them, I haven't found any reason for them to need to be replaced by other cats. I repeat: There's nothing wrong with them. But for some reason -- perhaps ultimately for their protection from something like declawing or being transported to live with somebody else for 3 months at a time -- they were cast aside. And they flew right into my lap. They're mine now. I want them, and I want to keep them. Jesus keeps reminding me that He gets rejected constantly, too, but of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with Him, either, and there never will be. It just hurts to be cast aside for no particular reason. But Jesus knows how to deal with this kind of pain, and He will help anyone overcome it if they'll let Him. I flew right into His lap, and I intend to stay there.

2) My relationship with God is supposed to be an uneven relationship. Perhaps if you grew up in a house where you were expected to perform constantly and perfectly and with little praise and with constant criticism, or if you grew up in a house where you were treated more like a science experiment that was poked and prodded and dissected than like a person who was enjoyed and cherished and protected, then perhaps your concept of God as a Parent is pretty darn messed up. Perhaps you're used to having a parent relationship that involves you being shamed if you fail to meet the million different requirements that are strapped onto your already broken back. Then when you try to get to know God as a Parent and He tries to tell you that you don't have to do anything to earn or keep His love, it doesn't compute in your brain right away, and it has trouble sticking to your heart. And even the very concept of Him being patient with you while His sounds-too-good-to-be-true-but-it-really-is-true truth computes and sticks... maybe that's what begins to melt and heal the wounds in ways that no therapy appointment ever could.

God has been teaching me that my relationship with Him isn't supposed to be like those healthy friendships that you'll read about in boundary-setting books -- the friendships that are supposed to have healthy, even amounts of giving and taking. Often in a healthy friendship, perhaps one friend will help the other friend, so the helped-friend will find a way to help the helper-friend as an expression of gratitude. Or perhaps one friend will pay for the other friend's dinner, and the dinner-paid-for friend will make a mental note to buy dinner for the I-insist-on-paying-the-check friend the next time they enjoy each other's company. But my relationship with God is supposed to be different than that. There is absolutely no way that I could ever possibly even begin to repay God for the dinners He's provided or for the favors He's given me. He is a neverending fountain of love -- nay, He IS love itself -- but there is absolutely no way that I could ever possibly even begin to love Him in the exact same way that He's loved me. My human brain freezes sometimes when I get in His presence and try to stop thinking about myself and talking about myself and start trying to be a good friend to Him and focus on what He would like to think about and talk about instead of what I would like. But He reminds me that our friendship is supposed to be uneven, because I will never be God. He will always be God. And instead of keeping a running tally of all the stuff I could be doing for Him, He's already commanded me to simply love Him back. He can talk my ear off (and He's welcome to) while we're hanging out and living life together, but when I sit in the solitude of my living room and grab my guitar, sometimes He requests specific songs like a twelve-year-old, and then He quietly listens while I sing to Him. I think He just wants to be loved on. My heart, soul, strength, and mind are so puny compared to His eternally humongous, perfectly perfect heart, soul, strength, and mind, so we could never be evenly matched friends... and yet He's chosen me as a friend, and He simply commands me to love Him with whatever I've got. He can't force me to love Him, even though He requires me to love Him. But because I've gotten a taste of Him and what He's really like, I want to love Him. And I think my loving Him is really all that He wants. I think that's what will keep my truly uneven relationship with Him eternally healthy.

3) Please pardon my French. So, earlier this month when I yet again blogged about spiritual abuse, I mentioned that while I strained to live life in a spiritually abusive environment, I felt like evangelism's bitch. Very recently, I was having a conversation with my heavenly Father, and He showed me that when I felt like evangelism's bitch, I thought He was a pimp. When He first skillfully sliced through my insides with this truth, it was a bit shocking to hear of course, but the more I thought about it, the more this "God is a cruel pimp that you work for now" concept made sense. I thought back to my spiritually abused days and remembered how everything revolved around evangelism in an unhealthy way. (Evangelism in and of itself is, of course, TOTALLY HOLY AND NECESSARY, but the enemy has an uncanny knack for perverting pretty much anything.) I remembered how you couldn't do anything normal like go to a restaurant and order food without feeling pressured to stand on a chair and force a verbal tract down all the innocent bystanders' throats -- otherwise, you were ashamed of the gospel, because today is the day of salvation, and God hasn't given you a spirit of fear. (He didn't give you a spirit of rudeness, either, hotshot.) You didn't have the fear of the Lord. You were shamed. You had to deliver, or else. From what I understand about prostitution, pimps are the same way. After streetwalkers are broken, they better hit the streets, put themselves out there, and reel in as many customers as they can, or else.

But God truly isn't like that. He's not like a pimp who will demand that you walk the streets and make as many sales as possible, or else He'll openly shame you or abuse you Himself. (Just typing that last sentence made me cringe, and now my fingers are shaking.) HE IS NOT A HARD MAN. The parable of the talents in Matthew 25 tends to get told in Sunday School classes with emphasis on the very last part of the story: "You better use your gift, or else God will take it away!" Um, I kinda think having that whole "or else" mentality is a symptom of thinking that God is a "hard man." In the parable, the person who hid their talent in the ground was wicked and lazy. But I think maybe also anyone who genuinely believes that God is a "hard man" might just be scared to death of using their talent because they don't know how, and they don't want Him to whoop them for trying and learning and making a mistake. God isn't a pimp. He's a loving Father who just wants me to love Him. He just wants to hang out with me. He just wants to dote on me in an extremely cooler, extremely more holy way than I dote on my cats. They're just cats. I'm an adopted daughter. Evangelism bitches / streetwalkers probably won't recruit very many newbies by telling them about their boss. Who would want to be employed by a pimp? But maybe an adopted daughter who knows how valuable she is to her Father could have an easier time fishing for newbies who are aching inside to also belong to an unconditionally loving Father.

4) The best-intentioned people can give you the worst advice, and even the best listeners don't always hear you. I think the trick is to just discern which advice is good and which is bad, and sometimes you need to get boundary-creative with people who haven't been hearing you say "no." A professor I had in college would call that "fancy footwork." ("Hey, Tirzah, are you going to take my class next semester?" "My, uh, schedule is quite jam-packed, and would you look at the time? I gotta get to my essay-writing class. See ya!")

5) God cares about your pain way more than you may think He does. Perhaps if you grew up in a house where everything was usually kept impeccably clean and where blemishes were constantly whitewashed and where you got yelled at for puking on the floor once while you were a sick kid who was bedridden with a virus, the concept of Father God being OK with the healthy spewing of your soul-infections might take a while to stick to your brain and heart. I think the psalmists in the Bible vomited some nasty junk all over their songs, but they didn't write any song sequels about God barking at them for being irritable. The whole point of Jesus dying, anyway, was basically that we as a human race had made a mess that was so beyond repair that Jesus had to come and clean up our mess Himself. And He said to let the little children come to Him. Little children puke, poop, and sneeze. They make plenty of messes that need to get cleaned up, but that's the nature of being a little child -- and all children need to have trusted people to take care of their needs. Little children are sensitive. They cry when they get hurt, and they need to be comforted. Little children get into accidents. They skin their knees and elbows, and they need to be raised by non-tyrants who will kiss their boo-boos and make them better. God is the Eternal Non-Tyrant who doesn't expect you to be perfectly whitewashed all the time, because He knows you're just a little child who needs Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment