Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mind if I vent? Yes? You mind? Good. I'll vent.


This blog post contains subject matter that may make you uncomfortable. Reader discretion is advised.

This is the second Sunday in a row that an older lady has sat next to me and chatted pretty much nonstop for about 15 minutes or so. I think each of these encounters has been more of a monologue than a conversation. I'll meet the lady, and then she'll download a large portion of her life story to me and weave in some unsolicited advice. Perhaps if I had signed up for a mentoring program and/or had introduced myself to the lady and tried to initiate a conversation with her and/or had gotten to talking to her over a period of several conversations, I would have relished this type of monologue. However, these ladies unfortunately didn't give me a choice in whether or not I would relish their monologue, their wisdom, or their company.

I was inconvenienced each time -- the first at church when I needed to leave and find some dinner to soak up the generic DayQuil swimming around in my empty belly, and the second at the beautiful coin laundromat when I needed to unload my wrinkling comforter from the dryer. Each conversation started out with me thinking something to the effect of, "Oh, wow, these must be the nursing-mother queens that God promised me in Isaiah 49!" but then turned into, "Oh, crap, they're not asking me questions about myself, or trying to get to know me, or even stopping for breath. And they're forcing their advice on me. I don't feel safe anymore. I can barely even hear God's instructions on what to do over their prattle. I need to escape!" I understand that listening to a person is definitely a way of loving that person. I understand what it's like to feel lonely and about to explode with all kinds of neat stuff to share with people, and suddenly you find an audience, and their listening faces look better to you than a loaded tree on Christmas morning. But I also understand what it's like to be taken advantage of. I understand what it's like to have your time and energy stolen. I understand what it's like to be stifled, forced, and silenced in an unhealthy way.

"Have you found honey? Eat only as much as you need, lest you be filled with it and vomit. Seldom set foot in your neighbor's house, lest he become weary of you and hate you." (Proverbs 25:16-17)

Lately, I've been wrestling with this idea that I've heard from church people. If I'm quoting it correctly, it's "You're as healthy as who you attract." From what I understand, the idea is that if you're an unhealthy person, you'll attract unhealthy people. If you're used to being abused, and if abuse is your normal way of life, then you'll attract abusers. If you're miserable, you'll attract miserable people. If you're emotionally healthy, you'll attract emotionally healthy people. And of course, to a degree, that's true.

But what about Jesus? He's the most healthy Person who ever lived, and He attracted all sorts of people. He wants everybody to be attracted to Him. And yet, He seems to have repelled unhealthy people such as the Pharisees, and He was quite vocal in exposing their hypocrisy. He wasn't self-righteous, so, from what I understand, He didn't attract the self-righteous people.

So, I've been taking a bit of an inventory of my life. The friends I've been attracting lately have personalities that are similar to mine, so I'm very cool with that. I don't have a problem with that.

I've been attracting no men whatsoever. So, if -- romantically speaking -- I'm attracting nobody, that seems to be a major indication that I have major self-worth issues. If I think I'm worthless, I'll attract nothing. (If I think I'm worth being attracted to, I'll probably attract somebody who sees my worth.) Sounds terrible, but it's a majorly important thing for me to be aware of.

In my past, I attracted married men. This was absolutely NOT something I intended, and this was definitely NOT something I wanted. (This is also why I avoid "the appearance of evil" like the plague.) I understand now that the abuse I endured wasn't my fault at all, but I also understand that there was something regarding a familiar/familial spirit that I needed to get rid of. It's gone, and I don't have to beat away dirty old men with a stick anymore. (Also, ladies, if I happen to be sitting or standing near your husbands and I scooch my chair away from him or take a step away from him, he doesn't stink. He's taken. Or perhaps I still have some old defense mechanisms that I need to examine.)

Then there were these weird flirtatious conversations or incidences I had with women who made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Those were also unintentional and unwanted incidences that I seem to have attracted. (I hope those weren't all my fault, either.) And those occurred before I fully allowed God to uproot some same-sex issues that I'd been carrying around inside me that I didn't know were still there. But from what I understand, those issues are gone now, and so are the questionable flirtatiousnesses.

But I still have these random, unplanned, unintentional, unwanted episodes of "Hello, nice-listener person, I will sit here and chew your ear off without any warning whatsoever." The two episodes I described at the beginning of this post were only the two most recent ones in my life. This has happened before. I've also had friendships/relationships like this. I'm not talking about having a very long conversation with a friend who I want to be close to. I'm not talking about listening to a good friend tell their story for a long time, and then rescheduling another time when I can get together with my friend so I can hear more of my friend's story. I'm not talking about something that blesses me. I'm talking about something that feels like it's trying to infiltrate its way into my life again, latch on, suck hard, and accelerate my inner decomposition. And lately, it's come from people who I possibly may never see again.

Reader, if you know me personally, maybe you can help me out. Is there something about me that attracts chronic talkers? Do I have a "Unload every opinion you've ever had right here" sign with an X tattooed to my forehead? I don't get it. If I interrupt them during their spontaneous spiel, I think I would be rude. If I encourage them to continue when I don't really want them to continue, I think I would be lying. If I come right out with the raw truth and say, "I really don't understand why you picked my ears to aim your diarrhea mouth at. Can I please get on with my life now?" I think I would invite a punch in the nose.

Perhaps I grew up with this pattern and am still developing the skill of inserting "hold that thought" or "can we continue this later?" or "forgive me, but I must leave immediately" into a torrent of incessant speech. And I've had issues with talking too much and/or being overly vulnerable with people who weren't really interested in my life. I want to be approachable and friendly and loving, but I don't want to be a doormat. I mean, enough is enough. And it's interesting that God is holding my eyelids open (Psalm 77:4) so I can see this particular issue at this point in time.

Later this week, I'm planning to attend a special church retreat where I'm going to let God slice me open all over again and examine my stuffing. Perhaps it will be a mellow beginning to something ecstatically new. Or perhaps it will be a continuation of what He's already been doing inside me. Or perhaps I'll collapse onto the floor in a pile of my own snot and tears. Who knows? But I'm expecting Him to help me become a little bit healthier. Hopefully I'll start attracting people who are a little bit healthier for me than the spontaneously chronic diarrhea talkers. But I'm looking forward to listening to God and letting Him chew my ear off about whatever He wants. He's safe, and He wants to make sure that I feel safe.

The photo I put at the beginning of this post has absolutely nothing to do with this post. I just thought this post should have a photo. That is a picture of my little mixed Siamese cat, whom I call Choochie. Choochie isn't her real name, but that's what I tend to call her, among other things. It's a nickname. She has other nicknames, too. Do you have any pets? If you ever get a pet, you should give it at least one nickname. Well, one problem that I have with my Choochie is that she is a strong-willed little cat. What a beloved little thing, and what a stubborn little thing. There's this spot in my living room behind my TV set where she's small enough to fit, but she's not allowed to go in there, because there are electrical cords back there, but she still sneaks inside there anyway. You know, if you ever get a cat, you should catproof your entire home. It's like having a child. It isn't like owning a dog, because a dog will do whatever you train it to do, but a cat is strong-willed and stubborn and-- Hey, reader, where are you going?!? I'm still venting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment