Thursday, July 11, 2013

Zits, poop, and sweat

Yep, I just went there. Hopefully, what I'm going to talk about in this post won't require any visual aids (or olfactory aids), so I won't include any photos. You're welcome, I think. Yay for scratch-n-sniff websites NOT being invented yet!

"So the Lord saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. Thus Israel saw the great work which the Lord had done in Egypt; so the people feared the Lord, and believed the Lord and His servant Moses." (Exodus 14:30-31)

"But he said, 'No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn." ' " (Matthew 13:29-30)

I've blogged a lot about my experiences in spiritually abusive environments, so you've gotten an earful (rather, an eyeful) of all the bad stuff that the spiritual abusers fed me. Yet it wasn't all bad. They fed me some good morsels, too. Here's one thing that a spiritually abusive pastor said during a sermon that truly helped me: If God is doing something in your life, just let Him do it.

For example, let's say you've determined that you're supposed to read the Bible more. So, you sit down and write out a Bible-reading schedule. But meanwhile, God has been trying to tell you that He just wants to have random conversations with you. So, the entire time you're trying to read extra Bible chapters, He loudly interrupts your Bible-reading and starts asking you about your day and about what you're going to eat for dinner (as if He doesn't already know). Yes, you absolutely need to read the Bible, but maybe your extra reading agenda needs to go on the back burner while God develops more of a secret-place friendship with you. Maybe developing this type of relationship with God would come in handy later. (This almost-fictional example did happen to me many years ago. What actually happened was that a friend had a "word from the Lord" that I reap what I sow, and she kept hearing "the secret place." God clarified this word to me later: I hadn't been sowing any time in the secret place with Him, so I wasn't going to reap anything in the secret place. So, for an entire week, I tried to have friendship conversations with God, but I didn't hear anything back from Him, almost as if He lovingly gave me the cold shoulder. It was a bummer of a week, but it was simultaneously a very sweet conviction, and I remember it as a very gentle way of Him disciplining me. And I learned my lesson the kinesthetically hard way.)

So, if God is trying to do something in your life, just cooperate with Him and let Him do whatever He wants with you. I think Ecclesiastes 3 outlines this pretty well. God tends to carve out certain "seasons" for certain purposes. I don't think it's an accident that the word "season" is used, because I can understand the ridiculous length of a "season" (especially in Texas). In terms of weather and time of year, each season has certain characteristics, and I know what I can realistically expect. In the summertime, I know it's going to be hot pretty much nonstop. Sure, there will be some days that will be cooler than others, and I may see rain, but I know for sure that I will see blazing hot sunshine most of the time, and I know for sure that I can expect triple digits probably for most days of summer, which will be a very long season in Texas. (Actually, Texas might not be a good example of how to describe a season, because summer here usually eats up part of the preceding spring and most of the following autumn.) In the wintertime, I know it's going to be cold most of the time. I may be able to stay warm indoors on some days with just a fire in my fireplace, but I'll more than likely need to turn my heater on several times a day, and I'll definitely need to dress warmly. Sure, there will be some days when it may be warm enough to wear shorts (especially in Texas), or it may even be cold enough to sleet or snow, but I know for sure that I'll need to stock up on vitamin C products to boost my immune system to protect myself from everybody else's sore throats and colds, and I know for sure that I'll need an extra blanket at night. (I've heard stories of people up North getting really tired of snow that doesn't melt, and when April rolls around, the once-beautiful white snow is dirty brown slush. Sigh. This Texas chick can only dream of such phenomena.)

I really think Ecclesiastes-3 seasons are similar. Verse 4 says there's a time to mourn and a time to dance. During a mourning season, I know I'll need to stock up on Kleenex and not schedule very many social outings, because I'll need to spend a lot of time bawling into God's shoulder; pain will become like a viral infection that will need to just run its course until it's gone; people will approach me at church with outstretched arms and be like, "Uh, this may sound random, but God told me to give you a hug." During a dancing season, I'll probably feel like a freshman at college again, where everything is new, the air is fresh, and I'll be able to dream new dreams; God will hang out with me spontaneously and romantically show me how He feels about me by using The Great Gatsby as a cool example; people from church will randomly encourage me. Verse 6 says there's a time to keep and a time to throw away. During a keeping season, I'll need to intentionally develop good habits that will last for a lifetime; during a throwing-away season, I'll need to remember what I learned in the mourning season while I buckle my seatbelt and let go of things that I never thought I'd let go of. And I think sometimes some seasons can happen simultaneously, and perhaps a few of them will run together like a huge casserole that God mixes up, lovingly places in the oven, and then waits for it to bake into something brand new.

But sometimes God's work seems more obvious. Sometimes what He's doing isn't vague; it's already solidified, and it's right in front of your face. Rather, it's a huge zit on your face.

I'm not a scientist, but from what I understand about dermatology, you can't really tell that a zit is forming until it erupts. Everything is going fine, and then suddenly you look in the mirror, and you see that everything is NOT fine. Maybe it was that chocolate bar you ate. Maybe you ate too much fried chicken this week, and it made your skin too oily. Maybe it's PMS. (Actually, as a woman, that usually is the culprit for me. Aaah! The hormone alarm went off on my face!) Suddenly, you know that there's a problem on your face because the problem has SURFACED. Now you need to do something about it. (I usually just apply an astringent because I've heard that popping a zit spreads the junk from the zit to the surrounding pores. And popping makes my face feel weird afterwards.)

I'm not a scientist, but from what I understand about digestion, you really can't tell that your bowels need to be evacuated until they scream at you that they're about to move. Perhaps if you're on a high-fiber diet, you can predict your trips to the bathroom quite easily. But some bowel movements are irregular. When you gotta poop, you gotta poop; there's no question about that. The poop has announced its need to SURFACE and leave your body forever. Now you need to do something about it. This is a necessary activity that forces you to hit the pause button on your life and just let it all out. Kinda like a good cry for your colon, eh? Sometimes I wonder why the heck I ate what I ate, because now I'm having to deal with its effects. I like to eat grapefruit, but apparently my intestines do not like to keep them.

I'm not a scientist, but from what I understand about body temperature, sweating is one of the most yucky, slimy, disgusting, healthy things that a person can do. Maybe if your body is comfortable in hot climates (Texas, my Texas), you won't be able to tell right away that 85 degrees is too warm for indoors or that 105 degrees is too sweltering for outdoors. But when you feel the perspiration glistening on your forehead, as if you were a giant water bottle, you know that you're in an environment that's become too hot for you. When you feel moisture in your pits and other skinfolds, you become self-conscious about wet clothing, and you know you need to seek cooler shelter. When sweat trickles down your face or back, you know it's time to find some beautiful Texas frozen A/C. This isn't a perfect analogy, because I've heard that some people have sweat disorders that either prevent them from sweating or that make them sweat excessively. But I think any of these situations -- whether you sweat moderately, not at all, or drippingly -- makes it suddenly clear to a person that an issue has SURFACED and must be addressed immediately.

In case anyone was wondering, one cool thing about having a fun friendship with God is randomly asking God, "Are there any Bible verses about sweating?" when you happen to have Psalm 135 pulled up on your computer, and then your eyes suddenly happen to see verse 7: "He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth." And then you're like, "That'll work. Thanks, Lord."

It was recently brought to my attention in Exodus 14 that the Israelites weren't completely free from their oppressors until their oppressors SURFACED in the desert. Then God evacuated them out of the Israelites' lives forever. I'm sure it was an extremely horrifying scene when the Israelites realized that their enemies that had set them free suddenly changed their minds. I'm sure it was also extremely relieving for the Israelites to cross the Red Sea on dry land and then look back and see God release the sea to flow regularly again and flush away the Israelites' oppressors forever.

It was also recently brought to my attention in Matthew 13 that the tares weren't disposed of until they grew up with the wheat. (From what I understand, tares are weeds that you don't want growing in your wheat. The wheat is the real fruit that you want to eat.) In the process, the landowner didn't want to ruin the wheat while it was growing, so he waited until the tares SURFACED completely to wipe them out. Sometimes you gotta wait until something SURFACES properly before you can properly throw it away forever.

I'm about to use real-life examples because, well, maybe it's time for me to just puke them out.

If God wants to squeeze codependence, enmeshment, and manipulation out of you, don't call your cluelessly codependent friend Tirzah for 90 minutes every Wednesday and Sunday night because you know she's incapable of rejecting you. Allow your loneliness to SURFACE so that God can pop your soul-zit and squeeze all that nasty pus out of you. You'll learn how to lean on God in a fresh way in the process. You'll bond with Him as a Friend in the process. You'll gradually get a clearer soul-complexion in the process.

If God wants to squeeze anger, pain, and fear out of you, don't plaster on a Pharisee smile every Sunday morning and be cheerful with people whose guts you hate. Don't confuse the little girl Tirzah who's growing up and learning how to be a woman and who will develop social issues later while she's struggling to allow hospitality and generosity to blossom in her life when she's an adult. Don't pack down your emotions inside you so tightly that confused little Tirzah only sees you expressing laughter or anger, to the point where she doesn't know how to properly express emotions, either, because you didn't model them for her. Don't gossip about the people you hate and ingrain hypocrisy so deeply into Tirzah that she grows up choosing hypocritical, gossiping friends who she'll have to let go of and grieve the loss of later while she's learning, quite violently, how to properly express emotions. Allow your anger to SURFACE in God's presence, where Psalms 4 and 62 say it's safe to poop out, so that God can squeeze all that poop out of you. You'll be cleansed and free from the threat of sepsis forever. You'll become a healthier person in the process.

If God wants to squeeze emotional pain out of Tirzah, and she's sitting down and trying to hear God help her through it, don't grab her arm and stand her up to her feet and make her feel like she's supposed to be rejoicing. Don't forget that you've actually read the Bible, like that part in James that says if you're HAPPY to sing and if you're TROUBLED to pray. Tirzah was trying to be alone with God and her pain because she was TROUBLED. Her pain was SURFACING. Why did you try to stop the flow? She ended up hitting the pause button on this process for about a dozen years. She was trying to become a healthy person. Sorry she didn't hit all the main points of your agenda for her life. Perhaps God had different plans for her than you did. Perhaps she would have been content to have allowed Him to sweat out the issues inside her that were causing her to overheat. Perhaps this is why she would breathe fire and scorch people on occasion. Perhaps this is why she tended to roll around in the mud like a pig, because they don't sweat, either. She's finally allowing God to sweat out her issues, and they trickle down her face and across her back, and they stain her clothes sometimes to the point of embarrassment. And Jesus clothes her with His robes. And she looks good. And she bonded with Him while she was sweating. And she's amazed at how He wasn't grossed out enough to abandon her. He's keeping her forever.

1 Corinthians 6 says that (because I belong to Jesus) my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Because I belong to Jesus, God accepts me, but He'll never accept my sin or iniquity. If I have issues that He doesn't want in my life, He'll be patient with me for as long as it takes me to work out the issues with Him forever. But if I have a soul-zit, I'll need to let Him pop it, lance it, drain it, clean it out, so that it won't contaminate the nearby pores; and it's just unsightly. If I have soul-poop, I'll need to park my butt and let Him talk to me about it while I poop it all out, because there's no way out of pooping, unless I want to be perpetually constipated, or unless I want my system to back up and give me a fatal case of sepsis; that would be tragic and disgusting. If I feel like my soul is getting overheated and needs to sweat, I'll need to allow myself to sweat so that my soul can cool off, and I'll need to find a cool place to connect with God and let Him refresh my soul-glands, so to speak, and cover me with His coolness, His cleanliness, His crispness.

I want God's temple to be as refreshed as possible. Maybe that's why showering regularly is so important. Maybe that's why Jesus didn't have a problem washing His disciples' feet. Maybe it's a lifelong process of seasonal cleansing. But in the meantime, I don't want to stop the flow. Oh, no, no, no. I won't stop the flow. Tirzah, you're blogging, not songwriting. Yay for me NOT using any auditory aids on this website!

No comments:

Post a Comment