Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Unemployment, part 9

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" (Psalm 46:10)

"Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:3-4)

It's amazing how a trial can bring you back to the basics of life. It's amazing how a trial can remind you how important the important things in life really are. I don't have very much right now, but I have everything I need.

Still alive? Check. Heartbeat, pulse, and oxygen? Check, check, check. Roof over my head? Check. Two cats who are still alive? Check, check. Empty mailbox? Check. Sense of sight, sense of hearing, sense of smell, sense of taste, sense of touch? Check, check, check, check, check. Breakfast food? Check. Lunch food? Check. Dinner food? Check. Running water? Check. Electricity? Check. Entertainment? Check. Musical instruments? Check, check. Extra sets of guitar strings? Check, check, check. One perpetually hungry cat who's trying to beg for food while I type this? CHECK.

Wow, that's actually way more than I need.

It's summertime. This is the time of year when I'm supposed to be vacationing. Instead, I'm looking for a job. And instead of a vacation, I'd much rather have two healthy cats. They are my family who waits for me when I come home. They are my family who puts up with me while I'm at home. No, they're not human, but they see, hear, and smell pretty much everything in my life. They probably know me better than most humans currently do.

My macho swashbuckler cat -- the perpetually hungry one -- will have surgery tomorrow. I don't know yet what all his recovery will involve, but I'm ready for it. I'm very thankful that I will be available to keep an eye on him.

I don't think it's an accident that I happen to be currently unemployed. And I don't think it's an accident that I have everything I need.

Adopted by the God of the Universe? Check. Protected under the shadow of His wings? Check. Equipped with armor? Check. Extreme hatred for the enemy who hates my guts? OH, HECK YES, THAT'S A CHECK. Instant access to my Helper, Comforter, and Empower? Check, check, check. Constant connection to my Father who really, really, really, really, really likes me a whole lot? Check, check, check, check, check... Relationship with Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith, the One who makes me more than a conqueror, who encourages me every step of the way? Check!!!

"By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept when we remembered Zion. We hung our harps upon the willows in the midst of it. For there those who carried us away captive asked of us a song, and those who plundered us requested mirth, saying, 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion!' " (Psalm 137:1-3)

Hmm. I don't know for sure if my enemy has ever taunted me by requesting me to sing him a song, but I do know that he has definitely taunted me. I also know something else...

"O daughter of Babylon, who are to be destroyed, happy the one who repays you as you have served us! Happy the one who takes and dashes your little ones against the rock!" (Psalm 137:8-9)

I know that if my enemy ever tries to reproduce on my turf again, I am going to do everything in my power to smash his babies to smithereens. He isn't welcome in my turf, period. Neither are his little ones.

I think this is a very unique season for me. I don't think I'm going to have a season exactly like this one ever again. I don't want to miss anything that my Father has in store for me here. Sure, I'd love to be employed again full time, preferably as soon as possible. But I'm willing to wait for it as long as I need to. I very much look forward to having job security that involves a regular paycheck, benefits, and 8-to-5 sanity. But for now, I'll keep searching for it.

And I'll keep remembering the important things in life: life itself, creatures to share it with, and a Creator to enjoy it with and sustain it all.


Peace? Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment