Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Unemployment, part 5

My being at home during the day has completely disrupted my cats' routines. However, my babies are very flexible, so they've developed new routines. For instance, Macho has discovered that I keep dishes soaking in the kitchen sink before I transfer them to the dishwasher. So, he has taken the liberty of jumping onto my kitchen counter and helping himself to the leftover food that is stuck to the sides of my dishes. Um, kitty, I hope the vet doesn't ask me later why she found traces of soapy water in your system.

Choochie, on the other hand, has decided to nap incessantly in my living room, as you can see in the photo I've shared here. There's a space that's approximately 10 inches wide (not counting the sliding door's track) between my old living-room chair and my vertical blinds. It's a tight, cramped space, but Choochie doesn't seem to mind. She seems very much at home there. It seems to fit her. If I ever need to leave my apartment for a little while, all I have to do is glance behind my chair and see her napping triangle ears to know that she's OK.

"Every commandment which I command you today you must be careful to observe, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers. And you shall remember that the Lord your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not. So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord. Your garments did not wear out on you, nor did your foot swell these forty years. You should know in your heart that as a man chastens his son, so the Lord your God chastens you." (Deuteronomy 8:1-5)

This afternoon while I was thinking about tomorrow's job interview, I realized that yesterday was the one-year anniversary of me officially hating my old job. I've been unemployed for approximately 45 days, but I've been in the market for a new job for approximately one year. Wow. God has brought me through a heck of a lot. (If you've followed my blog during the past year, you've more than likely gotten quite an earful/eyeful.)

I was thinking about all the times at my cubicle or in my car that I had conversations with God about how I felt about my job. I remembered the times I cried, the times I strained, the times I wanted to cut myself, and the mental health days I had to take off from work. I'm honestly amazed that I made it through all that. I'm pretty sure I made it because I wasn't alone. God was with me the entire time: holding my hand, collecting my puke, dragging my behind, wiping my tears, and comforting me as only He could. His joy really is my strength. He really does renew my youth like the eagle's. He really is my refuge and strength, and I really can be still and know that He is God when the mountains are carried into the sea and shake with its swelling. (That was a whole bunch of Bible verses smushed together.)

I gotta hand it to the Israelites. They had it pretty rough when they were hanging out in the wilderness wondering if they were going to make it out alive or if God hated them. I don't think they had a Bible with "wandering in the wilderness" stories to encourage them, and I don't think they knew that their experiences would become Bible stories later. We Christians use the term "wilderness" all the time to symbolize the extended hard seasons that we have, even though I think all our symbolic wildernesses kinda blur into each other. Did my unemployment wilderness start when I got fired, or did it start on May 20, 2013? Or does it really matter? Hmm. I might be overanalyzing this.

What I do know is that the Israelites, despite their circumstances, were very well taken care of in the wilderness. I also, despite my circumstances, am very well taken care of out here. I have manna, I have water, I have a cloud to lead me by day, I have a pillar of fire to lead me by night, I have sunshine, I have sand, I have a tent, and I even have animals. I have everything I need out here, and it is a very humbling experience indeed.

I was telling my therapist the other day that being unemployed kinda makes me an advice magnet. If I say, "I lost my job" or "I'm looking for a job," suddenly people start talking to me as if I'm 22 years old, fresh out of college, and have no idea how to survive on my own. Yes, I've already been applying for jobs on the internet for the past year. Yes, my resume is already quite updated. Yes, I registered with employment agencies. Yes, I'm already collecting unemployment. No, I don't sit around all day and eat bonbons. No, I don't expect the government to take care of me for the rest of my life. No, I am not qualified to be a salesperson; I'm sorry, I thought my resume said that I've held writing or editing jobs for the past 9 years. This is all humbling advice because I have to endure it, as if I were a 22-year-old kid. I don't really have a choice but to eat what's fed to me out here.

Rather, I guess the other choice is to shrivel up and die. Nope. That's not an option.

I'm 38 years old, and I'm barely discovering what I was designed to do with my life, so I think maybe after I reach my new-job promised land, I might need to enter a this-is-only-so-I-can-pay-off-debt-and-save-money-to-go-back-to-school wilderness all over again. I think reentering college in my 40s would be pretty darn cool. I'm hoping God will give me some more gray hair by then. Maybe I should start to have fun with this. "Hello, young college freshman who is hitting on me. Did you know that I'm old enough to be your mother?" Aw, heck, I'm already having fun with this. Reader, I hope you're laughing, because I am.

Life is awesome! I have everything I need right here! I live within very reasonable driving distance to a Dollar General, a Dollar Tree, a Big Lots, a Family Dollar, a Target, and the post office, all during a season when I'm watching my spending like a hawk and selling things on eBay! I just happened to get fired during a time of year when the weather was so mild that I barely had to use my A/C or heater at all, so my electricity bills haven't been astronomically high! I just happened to be unemployed right before I was scheduled to see generous relatives who like to give me money without me asking for it! I just happen to be old enough now to have made so many mistakes with money, employment, and unemployment in my past that I have plenty of experiences to draw from! I just happen to be the daughter of the King of the Universe who's richer than anybody else could ever hope to be, and everything He has is mine, and I am always with Him! (That last part was Luke 15:31.)

In case you can't tell, I'm trying to encourage myself. I think it's working.

So, maybe God has to discipline me after I help myself to the leftover food in the soapy sink. Or maybe I'm currently best suited for a napping space that's only 10 inches wide. I think that's OK. I still live in my Father's house, and He's taking care of me, just like He always does.


I have the most faithful Father in the universe. He keeps me as the apple of His eye, and He hides me in the shadow of His wings (Psalm 17:8). I think I can tackle my interview tomorrow, whether I get hired or not. My Daddy is with me, so I think I'm good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment