Sunday, August 9, 2015

Uno más

The title of this post is Spanish for "One more." I don't remember the exact context of how this phrase got in my head, but I think it may have come from one of my uncles telling me about one of my cousins.

I believe this is the same uncle who told me that when I was a toddler, I used to run around exclaiming with my index finger in the air, "I got an idea! I got an idea!" Of course, this would excite my uncle, so he would try to get me to stop running around and give him the scoop. "What, Tirzah? What is your idea?" The only reply he would get from me was, "I got an idea!" Hmm. Perhaps I took pleasure from keeping things vague on purpose, even as a toddler.

Years later, when I took the Clifton StrengthsFinder test, I scored Ideation. Go figure.

I think it was this same uncle who told me that one of my cousins would eat a lot, and I think perhaps they had trouble getting him to stop eating. I think he said that when they would tell my toddler cousin to eat no more, he would say, "Uno más." I know, right? It can be easy to keep eating "uno más" when you're enjoying what you're eating (e.g., Johnson City peaches, pan dulce, or any kind of candy).

But if the same icky food is placed in front of you day after day, meal after meal, it can be really hard to open your mouth and shove one more morsel down your throat yet again.

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4)

Recently, God has been telling me, "You inherited your parents' impatience." So, He has been developing some patience in me. He's been placing me in some situations that aren't getting any quick fixes -- situations that are requiring patience. And He's been developing some endurance in me, too. I kinda thought I had all this stuff inside me already, but maybe He's giving me some more. Or maybe He's scrapping the old stuff and building some new stuff altogether. Hmm. Not sure. I'm just gonna have to wait to find out. And I'm OK with that.

As you may have read in my previous post, getting my cat Macho to eat lately has been a heartbreaking struggle. I tried everything I could think of to get him to eat. I think last weekend was the worst part of this entire season. At one point, he was so weak that he meowed but no sound came out. (He just mouthed his meow.) On Monday night, I decided that I should take him to the vet the next morning and possibly consider putting him to sleep.

You may not like cats, and I can certainly understand that. But if one of your roommates were dying, you'd probably feel the same type of emotions that I've been feeling.

On Tuesday morning, Macho seemed hungry, and he downed some tuna, so I decided to postpone his visit to the vet. Then God prompted me to put my new philosophy into motion: "Uno más."

So, I got an idea!

 
On Tuesday afternoon, I found this stuff at PetSmart. I was very excited to see Macho scarf it down. Apparently, he's a Purina man. Go figure. He's been eating about three cans per day now. Yesterday, I found a similar canned food from Hill's Science Diet that he ate this morning. For now, the vet said to just make sure that Macho keeps eating, and I also plan to start him on new medication very soon. I'm taking it a day at a time, and I hope I get to keep Macho for as long as possible. And I'm OK with that.

"In my distress I cried to the Lord, and He heard me." (Psalm 120:1)

Two Friday nights ago, I was emotionally very low. I won't go into details here, but suffice it to say that I was kneeling on my couch with my Bible open and literally crying out to God because I didn't know what else to do -- with my current job, with my cat's health, with everything else in my life, etc., etc., etc.

I'm glad He heard me. Sometime during that weekend, He told me, "Uno más."

That following Sunday, when I opened up my laptop to look for another job and strategize my search yet again, I decided to send my resume to a company that I didn't get any response from when I contacted them about three times last year. Now this year -- two weeks and two interviews later -- I accepted a job offer from them.

So, the principle of "uno más" is a God thing. Go figure!

"As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." (Psalm 103:13-14)

"A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth. He will not fail nor be discouraged, till He has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands shall wait for His law... 'Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.' " (Isaiah 42:3-4, 9)

So, I'm learning how to wait, persevere, and just keep showing up when it doesn't seem like anything is changing. (I'm also learning that God doesn't want to kill me.) 

I think maybe God does the same thing for us. I know He's given me at least a zillion "uno más" chances. I also know that He sometimes keeps things vague on purpose. I mean, how else will He be able to sit down with us and examine the contents of our hearts if He doesn't make us wait, persevere, and press in for something?

I want to be just like Him. If He doesn't give up easily, I don't want to, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment