Monday, March 31, 2014

Pregnant

Now that I have your attention, I must clarify something immediately. I am definitely NOT pregnant physically. (Tomorrow is April Fools' Day, so I'm posting this tonight on purpose... because it's the truth.) In fact, I believe that the only time in history that a woman in my, uh, singlechick predicament was ever pregnant physically was when Mary was expecting Jesus. I am going to talk about being pregnant, uh, spiritually? Maybe. Pregnant metaphorically? Definitely. I think I'm quite ready to give birth metaphorically. Or it's quite possible that I'm quite full of crap.

"The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the hearts." (Proverbs 17:3)

My pastor has used the "pregnant" metaphor to describe what happens between the time a person hears the gospel and the time the person gets saved, so the concept of being pregnant isn't completely my idea. I've just noticed so many pregnancy metaphors wallpapering a certain section of my life lately like a tacky-looking paisley pattern.

If you've kept up with my blog and/or my Facebook posts, you know darn well (perhaps too well) how utterly, extremely, miserably unhappy I am in my current job. It keeps getting worse, but hopefully I've been growing throughout the long, grueling process of finding a new job. Yes, I'm pretty sure I've been pregnant with NewJob, and I think I'm around 44 or 46 weeks along. Yeah, that's right. I've been ready to pop for way too long, and I think I'm carrying a 12-pounder, and I don't know what the heck is holding up the anesthesiologist. I think I'm feeling the piercing contractions, and I'm screaming for the doctor to TAKE IT OUT!!! Sigh. I hope Bill Cosby would be proud.

I'm not usually a griping, complaining person, honest. But I've been souped up on metaphorical pregnancy hormones, and I've needed to vent somehow. When you need to vent, you have a husband, roommate, or family to come home to. I have God, two cats, and my computer. Sorry if this is all TMI, but I've been craving some deep-fried pizza burgers with chocolate-covered sausage and bacon on the side. I'm eating for two, ya know.

So, you know that I've been waiting for NewJob to pop out. Sometimes pregnant women are very surprised when they find out that they're pregnant, even though they've experienced lots of symptoms and have had lots of clues. CurrentJob was like that at the beginning: I had all kinds of symptoms and clues right under my nose of what kind of job I was getting, but I didn't see it right away.

I started CurrentJob several years ago tomorrow. Yes, April Fools' Day is the anniversary. Even before my first day at work, I was given all kinds of clues immediately.

When I interviewed for CurrentJob, I went through two interviews with five people total (none of which still work for the company). About two weeks before I started, the person who was supposed to have been my supervisor quit and got a job at another company.

My first day on the job, I was surrounded with April Fools' Day pranks, and I was involuntarily sucked into a couple of them. One of them haunted me later in a really weird way with a really weird misunderstanding. The coworker guy who had the really weird misunderstanding (and who made me feel really weird whenever I was around him) finally left the company after we merged with another company and had a first round of layoffs.

Speaking of the first round of layoffs, many of my coworkers were freaking out, but I was like, "What's the big deal?" Silly little workaholic. Wake up and smell the morning sickness. That was when God was very loudly like, "UPDATE YOUR RESUME." And I was like, "Eh, that can't be God." But it was. Silly little person. Schedule a prenatal appointment with your doctor, quick.

Then there was the day I finally noticed for the first time that NewJob was coming: when I first saw the bump. AAAAAGH! Oh, is that a whip cracking I hear? I am not a mule. Oh, I don't think so. Oh, I don't think so. Oh, I don't think so. Oh, I don't think so. Oh, I don't think so. I am not a moneymaking quota machine. I am a person, a human being who does not wish to check her heart and soul at the door every time she comes to work. Time to shop for some maternity dresses, 'cause NewJob is gonna grow pretty big.

Of course, there's an extended season of anticipation and preparation. There are resumes to update, jobs to apply for, a portfolio to dust off. Mama's gotta buy some diapers, wipeys, bibs, bottles, toys, the whole nine yards. And the cave at the end of the house must be transformed into a nursery. I mean, I gotta crunch the numbers and make sure NewJob will be able to sync well with my budget, schedule, etc.

And then the big day arrives. Mama knows it's time, so she finds a ride to the hospital. Last week, I had my first job interview during this entire search for NewJob. I would LOVE for this particular job that I interviewed for to actually be NewJob, but I'm very OK if it isn't. Sometimes Mama will have a false alarm. But she knows she won't stay pregnant forever. I think the fact that I even had an interview is a miracle in and of itself.

But meanwhile, she's got a bump. And she photographs it and wallpapers it all over Facebook. If you're not used to seeing these types of pictures, perhaps you'll be a little bit shocked at first. ("Why is she showing it off? She isn't ready to pop yet.") But after a short while, you'll see what's happening. You'll see that she's celebrating the new life that's growing inside her. She's sharing her miracle with everybody before it even happens, and it's beautiful, and it's hopeful, and it's worth celebrating every milestone. It's natural to rejoice with her. And it's also natural to weep with her. Not every Facebook post is pleasant. Sometimes she has morning sickness, afternoon sickness, and evening sickness, and she can't keep anything down, and she can't take any medication, so she asks for prayer. After all, it isn't just her life at stake anymore -- it's the life of that little one that's covered inside her bump.

I'm sorry if my Facebook and/or blog posts have been unpleasant for you to read, but this metaphorical pregnancy has been a long, painful one. Thank you for rejoicing and weeping with me. Thank you for walking with me. Thank you for being patient with me. I won't be pregnant metaphorically forever. Someday, the contractions will cease, the pregnancy will be over, and the misery will end. And so will the CurrentJob-related Facebook and/or blog posts. This is only for a season. And I'm thankful for the current weirdness.

And it's been interesting to see other people react to me during this season. Sorry, but Mama's carrying a NewJob that doesn't want to come out yet. She needs help sitting down, getting up, walking around, bending down, eating more, etc. Almost every aspect of her life is awkward, uncomfortable, and cumbersome right now. But she knows that her state is a temporary one. She knows that someday, her trouble will be worth it. Meanwhile, I've felt like I've needed to unfriend/block some people, I've seen some people's true colors, and I've accidentally offended some people. But I have freedom of speech, and I should be able to express myself when/if I need to, even if I waddle around awkwardly in a metaphorical maternity dress.

"Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isaiah 43:19)

I very much look forward to snuggling little NewJob in my arms someday, looking at him in his adorable little sleepy newborn face, and telling him how much I love him, how wonderful our new life is going to be together, and how much he's already made me happy. He'll have brown eyes, and he'll look just like Jacques. Wait. Did I just type that out loud?


Or I may have to remain metaphorically pregnant for many, many, many more months to come. Or it's quite possible that I'm quite full of crap. We'll see. Regardless, it has certainly been an adventure thus far. I'm thankful for every step I've encountered along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment