Thursday, September 26, 2013

Insert cool title here

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to write about in this post, but I have some ideas floating around in my head like an aria landscape casserole. Does that make sense? Good. I think this is the part of my season finale where a happy montage flashes across the screen while the protagonist does a voiceover, something along the lines of "So, I learned some stuff during this 30 minutes of sitcom [or 60 minutes of drama], and I'd like to summarize it for you before the credits roll and you tune in again next week for our next episode."

If you're new to my blog and/or have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe this previous post can give you an idea. It may also help for you to know a little bit about me, if you don't already. Hi, I'm Tirzah. I'm 37 years old, but when I pray to God in heaven, I talk to Him like I'm 5. Because He's my Daddy. And I like Him. And He's been redesigning me. I analyze everything to death because I'm a meditator. That's what I do. I chew. Then I spit it out, stare at it for a few hours, and then gulp it down again. And I chew some more. I think God my Daddy made me that way because, well, He wants me to chew on Him. (Not literally. That would be gross, and I would die immediately. End of chewing. Roll credits.) While He's been healing up my emotions for the past 3 years, I've become one of the most sentimental people you'll ever meet, and usually when I sit down and try to write a song to my God, it sounds like doo-wop. Because I'm in love, and He's my First Love. You can roll your eyes and call me a nun or a fanatic or a stupid little kid if you want, but I don't care. I know that I'm my Beloved's, and He is mine.

"Prepare your outside work, make it fit for yourself in the field; and afterward build your house." (Proverbs 24:27)

"They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted me." (Psalm 18:18-19)

2013 has been an extremely excruciating, buttcrack-terrible, horrible year for me, just because of the spiritual warfare. I didn't call up 50 of my friends to ask me to pray for me every time I got attacked because I knew it would end well, and I knew I needed to fight most of the battles myself so that God could make me stronger. (Also, my friends probably would have gotten like 80 phone calls a week from me and would have had to file restraining orders.) I think it was kind of like watching an egg hatch. You want to help the baby chick by breaking its shell for her, but she needs to break out of there herself -- as difficult of a process as it can be -- or she'll die. If she doesn't hatch on her own, she won't build up the strength that's necessary for her to break free, breathe free, waddle free, run free, fly free.

So, God has talked to me plenty about my crazy 3-year healing season. 2013 was the hardest part, of course. He showed me that I had spent time taking care of people, and now it was time to take care of me. He showed me that if He had told me ahead of time how whacked-out crazy 2013 was going to be, I probably wouldn't have wanted to go there. He likes to sneak around sometimes. Aw, yeah, Psalm 18:26. I used to be pretty darn deceptive. I was quite a terrible mess, actually. But I think God reached down, pulled me out, washed me off, and said something like, "This one's Mine. When they look at her, I want them to say, 'Wow, she didn't do that herself. God chipped away, whittled ferociously, and polished profusely, and now she looks just like Him.' "

I love to hear other people's testimonies. (When I visit the beautiful coin laundromat each week, I take a book with me, and I make sure it's a testimony/biography/memoir.) I love to hear people tell their life stories (but not the entire thing in like a 4-hour sitting), especially about how God found them, bought them, and restored them. Usually the stories I hear are nice and shiny, but I'm not so sure mine is so shiny. I don't think my testimony is like "I grew up in a Christian home, experimented with drugs when I was a teenager, and then everything became wonderful after I got saved, and now I have a beautiful spouse and wonderful children, and we're all living for the Lord, and God is so faithful, and I'm so thankful."

I think my testimony is more like "What you're looking at is what was left after God pulled Tirzah out of the shredder, sewed her back together, patched up the questionable-looking parts, welded the chafed-looking parts, smoothed out the dead parts, and said, 'It's alive! It's alive!' Dang, it's been a [bleep] crazy road I've been crawling on. I'm thankful that God didn't zap me off the face of the earth for waving my [bleep] middle finger at Him, cussing Him out, and yelling at Him. He's faithful, and quite honestly, with all due respect to Him, I think He's absolutely crazy. Who the [bleep] in their [bleep] mind would put up with [bleep] like me? Him. And now I'm just as crazy as He is. He's had plenty of chances to kill me, and I've given Him plenty of reasons to, but I've finally come to the [bleep] conclusion that He ain't interested in killing me. He's interested in keeping me alive so that I can point to Him and say, 'Check Him out. He's [bleep] crazy in love with me and with you, too.' Wait. Do you smell something burning? Uh-oh. It's my [bleep] butt. Uh... excuse me, folks, but He decided to light me on fire while I was speaking. Pardon me while I stop, drop, and roll."

During this crazy healing season, I've learned to be prepared for anything. I guess you could use the cliché "expect the unexpected," but I would say it's more like "hey, man, if somebody suddenly throws something at you, duck. If you don't duck right away, try to find something to throw back. If you can't, then you may as well buy a house in Greenland with flying unicorn cats." Does that make sense? Good.

I've learned that God is a wonderful Daddy who has a huge bottomless treasure chest -- nay, it's more like a treasure mall with unlimited supplies -- and is constantly wanting to give good gifts. And He's also like a benevolent Stage Mom who isn't a micromanaging tyrant but more like the Teacher of the Year who always has the best answer for everything and always feeds you your line or gives you your cue at the perfect time and who always believes in you and who always fights for you.

And as much as He wants to give cool stuff or lead to cool places, He's really mainly interested in ME. In YOU. In US. In all of us getting some one-on-one bonding with Him. He's hilarious, He's serious, He's soft, He's strong, and He's perfect, all the time.

I'm sorry, I distracted myself talking about my Father. What was I saying? Oh, yeah. The credits are about to roll. So, what I learned during these 3 years of sitcom/drama/nonstop life is that, well, I'm stuck with God. And, like a good, cheesy love song says, I'm happy to be stuck with Him. It's like we're a married couple or something. We've promised ourselves to one another for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as we both shall live. (That's an eternity.)

And yes, He is faithful, and I'm so thankful.

So, I think my field has been in its final stages of getting ready (as I quoted in Proverbs 24 above). I've finally let Him clear out my garbage that was just sitting outside for all the neighbors to gawk at and gossip about, and now I think the field is ready to be worked. And now it's time to build my house. Do I know how to do that or what it's going to look like? Pffffft. No. But God knows. And if He doesn't build my house, I'd just be laboring in vain, anyway (Psalm 127). And I know another thing for sure: After all this, He and I aren't ever going to forget each other.

So, I'm going to hang on and enjoy the ending of this ride and the beginning of the next ride. This one kinda felt like Falkor's back. I wonder if I'll get a limo for the next one? Or maybe a moped? Maybe a Hummer. Have I ever told you about the time I got rear-ended by a Hummer and lived to tell about it?


Wait. I wouldn't just end a blog post on a cliffhanger, would I? Hi, I'm Tirzah. I'm 37 years old, and I like to keep people guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment